Using Audacity to create music to sell

Hi er… Everyone

I hope you are well–especially considering the situation.

I bought a Behringer U-Control UCA202 device from Amazon to record music at home. The device was advertised as having accompanying recording software. The software was, in fact, the Audacity software.

After having a very difficult time in my life, I am trying to engage with people again. I have an idea to create a website by which to communicate with people whilst being creative. We engage with people by how we express ourselves and what better way to express yourself than via creative mediums.

Unfortunately, I am also in need of employment. If I am to create a website, I would like to be creative to express myself but also to sell what I create - not at stupid prices. Just to cover cost of the website and hopefully provide a salary for me . I do not aim to be a huge success – I don’t consider myself to be that naive - I just want enough to be able to live.

I am writing to you to ask if it is legal for me to use the audacity software to record music and to sell it via the internet? I have not done so as so far – I value the law and I have no intentions of breaking it. I just want a chance to make a living whilst engaging with people again.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to your response.

The software is probably an old version. The latest version is always available via the Audacity website: Audacity ® | Download for Windows

Also, there will be a new Audacity release next month.

There are millions of other people trying to do the same. Most of them will not even cover costs.

It is legal to use Audacity.
It is legal to use Audacity to record your own music and sell it.

It is NOT legal to sell music that is covered by someone else’s copyright.
Selling “cover versions” is not legal in many countries.

As long as you hold the copyright on the music, you can do what you like with it. Audacity may be used for commercial purposes.

Hi

Thanks people for the response. I am trying to create my own material so, if it is legal, I will use audacity for music production.

Thank you once again.

There are already websites to deliver music to consumers, e.g. BandCamp, ReverbNation.

If you want your music to be used commercially, (e.g. in advertising), there are commercial sound-libraries.

There’s usually no up-front costs, the websites are effectively agents who get a cut of sales.

[ It’s a very competitive market out there. ]