unable to overdub

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
lonepilgrim
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: unable to overdub

Post by lonepilgrim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:50 am

anything will help...I`ve used this old Alesis 4 channel for several years with Audacity and was developing a buzz that I know came from the mixer but it was old..i figured I got my 99$ worth...if I can`t fix this I may buy a new one which might be the only solution...this was supposed to be an upgrade
:D

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:31 am

I'm so close to throwing in the towel. I have to draw the signal pathways in my head and they don't make it any easier because some of the controls aren't labeled.

As I understand this: The little white buttons along the bottom are PFL, Pre-Fade Listen. Assume you're microphone is plugged into mixer channel 1, turn up the two red knobs about 3 o'clock. Push that PFL and the fifth PFL. That should deliver your microphone performance mixed with the backing track from the USB/Audacity playback to your headphones.

Meanwhile, advance the big red slider and your live performance should make the sound meters jump. It should also go down the USB cable to Audacity to be recorded. If I did it right, the backing track will not go down with it. That should give you a clean track 2. You can use the Audacity SOLO and MUTE buttons for each track to select what you hear as backing track.

Now that you're using 44100, 16-bit, is Audacity still complaining unable to reach.. yadda, yadda?

Koz

lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:05 pm

I don`t know what you mean by the fifth PLF..the labels on the buttons are cryptic but there are 2 of them..on top it says USB out...underneath that is a button that says M1-M2 obviously mics 1 and 2..below that L-R pre..underneath that a label that says L-R post but no button just a label..next to the whole deal a bracket that says source select...again I have tried every combination and nothing

Now all at once I can`t record anything..no track no overdub..nothing..setting the bit rate does nothing

I`m confused..it`s as though this system has a mind of it`s own which is impossible since it`s just a machine..hopefully

lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:29 pm

since then I`ve hooked up my old Alesis mixer and everything works fine except for the buzz which im sure is coming from the mixer which is acceptable as it is so old...next step is to buy a new Alesis 4 channel and see if it works..ive been messing around with this for 2 months and I don`t want to haggle with sweetwater so it looks like I'm stuck with it..hopefully it will work with protools ?

1 other question..how do I change the windows 7 to 10 in my tag ?

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:39 am

OK. One at a time. These PFL buttons. The unlabeled ones. One through five.

Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 19.33.09.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 19.33.09.png (43.5 KiB) Viewed 123 times

#1 should shuttle your voice or microphone to your headphones with the tall red master fader all the way down.

#5 should shuffle the USB backing track to your headphones. That's your overdubbing mix.

You don't know how long it took me reading the instructions to get that.

Koz

kozikowski
Forum Staff

Post by kozikowski » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 am

Is it still complaining about not being able to connect?

Koz

lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you...I usually only do this on the weekend

It`s doing something different now...I can`t record at all...when I hit the red button a track appears but there is a message " Try changing audio host..recording device and project sample rate "

I`m 99% sure I have the settings where they are supposed to be and I`m checking again now now..not sure what to do now...I recently updated my entire system but I was having better results with my cheap laptop.

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Check that the Windows privacy settings aren't getting in the way. See here for details on what I mean: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=100117

lonepilgrim

Post by lonepilgrim » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:36 am

everything works fine just the way it is except 1 thing...when I click the record button the entire project moves 10 seconds forward

(right)

ve4jhj

Post by ve4jhj » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:49 am

Does it shift as it's recording, or after you've stopped recording?