Which plugin to use...

For Musicians to Share Their Music, Tips, Tricks and Reviews.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
platypus
Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Which plugin to use...

Post by platypus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 am

Hey Guys. :D

Me again. :oops:

I listen a music to sleep using a (very) limited portable mini system.
Sometimes the music i use to sleep get too low. Below -42db. (Then i hear outside noise) I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.

Many thanks!

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Re: Which plugin to use...

Post by Trebor » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:15 pm

platypus wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:03 am
I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db ...
Amplify by 19dB ... https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/amplify.html

platypus

Post by platypus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:48 pm

Hey!
Got a lot of peak and distortions. As before on my tests.

I think i need change this my portable mini player for a better one to get a clear and better background noise.

Many Thanks! :D

DVDdoug
Operating System: Windows 10 / 11

Post by DVDdoug » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:19 pm

I listen a music to sleep using a (very) limited portable mini system.
Sometimes the music i use to sleep get too low. Below -42db. (Then i hear outside noise) I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.
That's confusing...

How are you measuring -42dB that? Is that a digital level or an acoustic level? Is that a peak or average level?

The "digital maximum" is 0dBFS and most digital music (CDs & Mp3s, etc.) have peaks at or near 0dB with an average (or RMS or LUFS loudness) of around -20dB.

If you use the Amplify effect, Audacity has already pre-scanned your file and it will default to whatever gain (or attenuation) is needed for normalized/maximized 0dB peaks. That's as loud as you can go without (potential) digital clipping (distortion). (WAV files are hard-limited to 0dB and your digital-to-analog converter is also limited to 0dB.)

-42dBFS (digital) is unusually low (for a peak or average dB level). Quiet parts can be -42dB or less and total digital silence between tracks on a CD is minus infinity dB. (There will still be some noise between tracks from the analog electronics and you might be able to hear it, or not.)

+42dB SPL (acoustic loudness) is "reasonable" for fairly-quiet home environment (loudness chart). 0dB SPL is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and the only place you'll get negative SPL levels is in an anechoic chamber, or in a vacuum (or in outer-space) where there is no air. (With no air you have minus infinity dB SPL).

...There is a direct correlation between digital levels and acoustic level but no standard calibration. If you reduce the digital level by 3dB the acoustic level also drops* by 3dB. But 0dB digital oy huge speakers with the volume turned-up may be louder than 0dB digital on your mini-system.

* I always use an example of lowering the volume because your amplifier is already maxed-out a digital increase won't result in a corresponding acoustic increase.

jademan

Post by jademan » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:37 pm

platypus wrote:
I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.
Perhaps you are looking for Effect > Compressor ?

platypus

Post by platypus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:23 pm

DVDdoug wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:19 pm
How are you measuring -42dB that? Is that a digital level or an acoustic level? Is that a peak or average level?[/b]
Hi!

-42dB on audacity, Digital level i think? (im noob)
The "digital maximum" is 0dBFS and most digital music (CDs & Mp3s, etc.) have peaks at or near 0dB with an average (or RMS or LUFS loudness) of around -20dB.
Maybe this is my problem with this 'music' and my simple player.
Sometimes too low (i wake), sometimes too high (i wake). (I have severe problems to sleep in a noisy place, and i live in a noisily place. Sadly cant afford other place)
If you use the Amplify effect, Audacity has already pre-scanned your file and it will default to whatever gain (or attenuation) is needed for normalized/maximized 0dB peaks. That's as loud as you can go without (potential) digital clipping (distortion). (WAV files are hard-limited to 0dB and your digital-to-analog converter is also limited to 0dB.)
Yeah! I read all docs before post, im new on this.
To get some good increase on dB i enabled "Allow clipping" and got distortions.
-42dBFS (digital) is unusually low (for a peak or average dB level). Quiet parts can be -42dB or less and total digital silence between tracks on a CD is minus infinity dB. (There will still be some noise between tracks from the analog electronics and you might be able to hear it, or not.)
Im trying o keep all between -27dB and -18dB in digital, on audacity. And try to adjust on player a good 'volume'.
+42dB SPL (acoustic loudness) is "reasonable" for fairly-quiet home environment (loudness chart). 0dB SPL is approximately the quietest sound that can be heard and the only place you'll get negative SPL levels is in an anechoic chamber, or in a vacuum (or in outer-space) where there is no air. (With no air you have minus infinity dB SPL).

...There is a direct correlation between digital levels and acoustic level but no standard calibration. If you reduce the digital level by 3dB the acoustic level also drops* by 3dB. But 0dB digital oy huge speakers with the volume turned-up may be louder than 0dB digital on your mini-system.
Understood.
* I always use an example of lowering the volume because your amplifier is already maxed-out a digital increase won't result in a corresponding acoustic increase.
I need try this on other good quality system, the music is a little messed up. But now i think now is my player fault. Or at least it's making the situation worse. I dont feel discomfort hearing the music from headset on PC. 🤔

Many Thanks!

platypus

Post by platypus » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:34 pm

jademan wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:37 pm
platypus wrote:
I need a plugin to increase from -42db or less to -21db.
Perhaps you are looking for Effect > Compressor ?
I will give a try. This one i never used.

Many thanks. :D

Trebor
Operating System: Windows 8 or 8.1

Post by Trebor » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:46 pm

After you amplify could use limiter, without make-up gain, to bring down the loud peaks.

henryaham897

Post by henryaham897 » Mon May 09, 2022 5:45 pm

Is there a quality compressor here on audacity?

DVDdoug

Post by DVDdoug » Mon May 09, 2022 6:51 pm

Is there a quality compressor here on audacity?
Is there something wrong with Audacity's built-in compressor?

It's pretty standard with adjustable ratio, threshold, attack, and release, plus a couple of other features. There's nothing wrong with the "quality" but of course with any tool, you can mess-up the sound.... It's always easier to break things with a tool than to build or repair something. :P

Or there are tons of 3rd party compressors and I'm sure many of them work in Audacity. Chris's Compressor is a Nyquist plug-in (specifically for Audacity) and it's a little different from most compressors.

The built-in limiter is excellent. It uses look-ahead so with most settings it doesn't distort the wave shape like a regular analog limiter. (Limiting is a kind of fast-compression).

There are also some optional Nyquist limiters and compressors.