Audacity as learning aid

For Teachers and Educators.
Using Audacity in the Classroom.
Forum rules
ImageIf you require help using Audacity, please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system:
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
pslebow
Operating System: Please select

Audacity as learning aid

Post by pslebow » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:09 am

I've been a low-key Audacity user for a few years. An incredible resource. I'd like to share one use that has helped me immensely with my guitar lessons.
I record the lesson on my iPhone ( I use AudioNotes probably any recording app will do). I then transfer to my laptop - usually an mp3 and open in Audacity. I then listen to segments of the lesson and hit "Cmd-period" whenever the teacher says something significant or demonstrates a passage. This generates entries in a "label track" that I can annotate with descriptions of the event. He also writes notes in a notebook that I can associate with a particular event time in the timeline which I jot besides his notes. If he demonstrates a segment of music, I can quickly set up a looped region and use it as a backing track. I find myself going back to previous lessons when I have time, and getting more out of them as I advance.

I'd be interested in hearing how others use Audacity to help with learning.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity as learning aid

Post by steve » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:04 pm

Thanks for posting the tips pslebow. If you have more tips, feel free to post them :)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)