Utilizando os plugins

Hello Good morning (in Brazil)!

Could you teach me what is the main difference between the plugins “Normalize and Normalize height”?

Where in the manual do I find the relationship of all plugins with the function of each one?

Thank you very much!
Plugin Normalizar.jpg

The “Normalize” effect amplifies the audio to a specified peak amplitude: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/normalize.html

The “Loudness Normalization” effect amplifies the audio to a specified “loudness” (how loud it sounds subjectively): https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/loudness_normalization.html

“Normalizar altura” looks like it might be a poor translation. Perhaps you could suggest a better translation.

See: Index of Effects, Generators, Analyzers and Tools

==

Ver: Índice de efeitos, geradores, analisadores e ferramentas

Dear Steve and jademan!

I thank and congratulate you for your professionalism.

I understood your teachings regarding the difference between the two, but I ask: Professionally, which would be the most convenient to be used, having a more accurate and efficient result?

“Normalize height” seems like a poor translation. Perhaps you can suggest a better translation.

As you can see in the image, this translation is by Audacity itself, could you ask the translators for another option?

I am immensely grateful for your help!

Hug friends.

This issue has been forwarded to the translators, although it may be too late to have any effect on the next release (3.0.3), as most of this has already been translated.

The reason there are two effects is because each has a downside:

The downside of Normalize, (while making the audio as loud as it can possibly be without distortion), is that a single loud noise can force the entire show to be reduced in volume. If you Normalize different music files independently, the listener may then need to adjust his volume control for each one. (Why do I have to turn the volume down each time a commercial comes on?) This is most suitable for long concert hall type recordings.

The downside of Loudness Normalization, (while producing audio with consistent volume), is that the single loud noise that appeared only one place in the entire show will be forced into clipping and will be accordingly damaged. Typically this is corrected by using a Limiter after applying Loudness Normalize. See for example, Audiobook Mastering. This requires more work and is suitable for shorter radio and mobile applications.