pause/stop/resume recording in Audacity

This read-only archive contains discussions from the Adding Feature forum.
New feature request may be posted to the Adding Feature forum.
Technical support is available via the Help forum.

pause/stop/resume recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by blk_pepa » Sun May 01, 2016 2:55 am

Good evening & hello to all....
I am a newbie to the forum and a (sort of) advanced beginner using Audacity. I have used Audacity for a host of audio projects and now I am looking to use it to record amateur artists. I have only used Audacity in the past to record vinyl or cassette to .mp3. I just received a FOCUSRITE Solo digital recording interface in the mail & I am just going over how I am going to proceed. The one issue I am having from my mini tests is resuming recording. Once I pause or stop recording and start again, Audacity creates a new track. I can forsee the artist stopping at a point and just wanting to to go back and resume from that point. I can splice the tracks together but I'm thinking there HAS to be an easier way...How do I not create a new track but continue recording within the same track? Please help :roll:
Pep
I apologize if this topic has been asked and answered but I did try to find it in here first...
blk_pepa

Operating System: Windows 7

Re: pause/stop/resume recording in Audacity

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun May 01, 2016 6:49 am

P will pause the recording. P to pick it up again.

Shift-R is Append Record. That will jam the new work on the end of the old work.

I think there's a third one now. Looking.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sun May 01, 2016 6:56 am

No. That's it.

There is a pseudo crash-record you can do.

Stop the recording. Click a place where you would want to "cover up" the old work. Press record and it will start recording from that point. However, it doesn't actually cover up old work. It just starts a new track at that exact location.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by blk_pepa » Sun May 01, 2016 4:43 pm

Thank you koz
I am surprised there isn't an easier/better way of "punching in"
I have Ableton Live (though I am not very good on it at all) but from my testing, once you "arm" recording, you can stop, pause, jump back & re-record right over the previous recording ...I was hoping the same could be done in Audacity, as there is where my comfort zone lays...
Bless!
Pep
blk_pepa

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon May 02, 2016 11:40 am

blk_pepa wrote:I am surprised there isn't an easier/better way of "punching in"

It's a long-standing feature request.

It would also be tricky to get right
a) what do you do if the punch-in correction is longer or shorter that the "error"

b) how do you handle the joins at each end? Fades? How do you manage the fades?

c) Should it be destructive editing - or should you be able to revert later

etc etc etc

So no developer has been keen to pick this up - remember that is is a (mainly) volunteer project 8-)

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

This is the entry from our Wiki Feature Requests page:

"Punch-in and punch-out" recording: (79 votes) - one of
Not further specified or "destructive": (59 votes) - a quick destructive punch that changes the existing audio data in the track, usually overwriting a section of it, but can also refer to inserting a new recording after the cursor rather than replacing any of the existing recording.

While convenient, this is not as flexible as recording on another track, which lets you adjust the timeline position of the new recording precisely (once made) then cross-fade it so it sounds seamless.

Non-destructive punch: (20 votes) some idea like Audition punch in that allows you to store multiple punch-in takes, or ProTools Non-Destructive Record.
Punch-in needs pre-roll: (11 votes) "With punch and roll, I would pause the recording when I made an error, use the mouse to select an insertion point. Then I would hit a shortcut key that automatically gave me 3-5 seconds of pre-roll playback to hear my lead in, then shifts to record mode at the insertion point. This is just three commands: pause, insert point, function key. The fewer keystrokes, the more efficient."
Pre-roll only needed when overdubbing (7 votes)

It's sufficiently complicated that no-one has even attempted a formal Proposal as a design discussion document - lete alon started development ..

But as you can see with 79 votes alraedy it's a very popular Feature Request. Would you like us to add your vote?

WC
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Mon May 02, 2016 4:39 pm

And, not to be left out, Edit-In and Edit-Out keys. Audacity doesn't have those, either.

I and O keys on some video editors.

Marking an In point in Audacity involves setting labels and sticky cursors....

And don't forget scrubbing. Finding cut points is far easier on other editors.

You'll notice I just redesigned the whole edit engine. Volunteers? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by kermitjr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:42 am

Howdy,

So I'll cut to the chase... how much would a bounty need to be to have "Punch and Roll" with an option for destructive or non-destructive? (to start with, I'll gladly take destructive since I'm overwriting mistakes anyway! Not sure if "undo" would still work, but it'd be swell)

To give you the best example of exactly what I'm talking about (and looking for), check out the second half of this video (pertaining to Ocenaudio) - https://youtu.be/xFeoTsdjAqo Believe me when I say that I'm not one for "copycat" features with software... however, that is the easiest demonstration I have found to precisely show what I'm looking for.

I absolutely LOVE Audacity - the team is amazing. But I've started recording audiobooks and punch and roll is critical. AutoHotKeys just ain't doing it for me! It is the one thing that is drawing me to Ocenaudio (which isn't open source). I just know that in all of my many many many hours of researching the best way to record audiobooks, Audacity is always at the top of the list, but "lack of punch and roll" is always mentioned as a drawback. I think it would be a feature to draw many more users (yes, that may bring other headaches! :-) )

But instead of whining or complaining, and in recognition that this IS a team of volunteers (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)... if you had to name a price, what would it take to prioritize this? And how quickly could it happen?

I might either fund it directly or attempt a Kickstarter or something.

Thanks for your time!
Kermit

PS. Regarding the forum sign-up, I could only select one operating system - I jump from Win7 to Linux Mint often and use your fabulous software in both.
kermitjr

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:02 pm

kermitjr wrote:Howdy,

So I'll cut to the chase... how much would a bounty need to be to have "Punch and Roll" with an option for destructive or non-destructive? (to start with, I'll gladly take destructive since I'm overwriting mistakes anyway! Not sure if "undo" would still work, but it'd be swell)

To give you the best example of exactly what I'm talking about (and looking for), check out the second half of this video (pertaining to Ocenaudio) - https://youtu.be/xFeoTsdjAqo Believe me when I say that I'm not one for "copycat" features with software... however, that is the easiest demonstration I have found to precisely show what I'm looking for.

I absolutely LOVE Audacity - the team is amazing. But I've started recording audiobooks and punch and roll is critical. AutoHotKeys just ain't doing it for me! It is the one thing that is drawing me to Ocenaudio (which isn't open source). I just know that in all of my many many many hours of researching the best way to record audiobooks, Audacity is always at the top of the list, but "lack of punch and roll" is always mentioned as a drawback. I think it would be a feature to draw many more users (yes, that may bring other headaches! :-) )

But instead of whining or complaining, and in recognition that this IS a team of volunteers (Thank you, thank you, thank you!)... if you had to name a price, what would it take to prioritize this? And how quickly could it happen?

I might either fund it directly or attempt a Kickstarter or something.

Thanks for your time!
Kermit

I moved this to "Adding Features".

OK we can count your vote for either destructive or non-destructive punch-in. I assume you are aware that you can already stop, delete the mistake, then Append Record (SHIFT + R) at the end of the track (with no pre-roll).

We decided not to go with any "bounty" system for features. The "price" of a non-destructive punch in if a volunteer was to cost their time commercially would be several thousand dollars.

That said, you probably don't need to open your wallet. Paul L (one of the few developers we have who is currently active in the project) is a voice artist and has expressed interest in working on a punch and roll "engine" and "destructive" punch-in as a first step. Some of us prefer non-destructive punch-in with storage of retrievable takes (which is arguably worth the extra work for music punch-ins).

So if you subscribe to audacity-devel https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/audacity-devel and express your interest there, Paul will see it. Have a read of this topic first http://audacity.238276.n2.nabble.com/Planning-Ahead-for-2-1-4-td7575943.html#a7575959 so you understand more of the considerations at play.

You could link in your post to the salient part of the video https://youtu.be/xFeoTsdjAqo?t=262 - I think it clearly shows how much better that is for audiobook work. But please be aware that nothing will happen until we have Audacity 2.1.3 released which is going to be at least a month yet.

kermitjr wrote:Regarding the forum sign-up, I could only select one operating system - I jump from Win7 to Linux Mint often and use your fabulous software in both.

Just choose the OS you use the most or like the most.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Permanent link to this post Posted by kermitjr » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:41 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I moved this to "Adding Features".

Thanks!

OK we can count your vote for either destructive or non-destructive punch-in. I assume you are aware that you can already stop, delete the mistake, then Append Record (SHIFT + R) at the end of the track (with no pre-roll).

Yes. This is what I currently use via AutoHotKey but it gets a bit whacky at times and isn't as smooth and manually definitely isn't as fast.

We decided not to go with any "bounty" system for features. The "price" of a non-destructive punch in if a volunteer was to cost their time commercially would be several thousand dollars.

I can understand many reasons for this. As I mentioned - I'm very grateful for what the team is doing!

That said, you probably don't need to open your wallet. Paul L (one of the few developers we have who is currently active in the project) is a voice artist and has expressed interest in working on a punch and roll "engine" and "destructive" punch-in as a first step.

That's great news!

Some of us prefer non-destructive punch-in with storage of retrievable takes (which is arguably worth the extra work for music punch-ins).

I can see why you'd want non-destructive for that sort of application. And yes, it would be worth it.

So if you subscribe to audacity-devel... have a read... link video

Will do - thanks!

Blessings,
Kermit
kermitjr

Return to Feature Request Archive