Audacity 2.2.2 not detecting dropouts

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Audacity 2.2.2 not detecting dropouts

Permanent link to this post Posted by arlie » Sun May 06, 2018 2:04 am

I just installed 2.2.2 a week ago and generally it is working well. Three plus hours of recording. And dropouts are actually less frequent than has been my norm -- just two occurrences so far. But they have not been detected as promised in this release. I have seen the behavior described in your release notes while I was doing some output sound troubleshooting, so I know it's in there. My Audicity preferences/recording setting for "detect dropouts" is checked -- and I have double checked my version number. What could I be missing?
arlie

Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Audacity 2.2.2 not detecting dropouts

Permanent link to this post Posted by arlie » Sun May 06, 2018 2:28 am

Should have specified: macOS 10.13.4

Also, I have reproduced this by simply interrupting the source briefly during a recording. When I stopped the recording there was no popup message and no dropout labels.
arlie

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Sun May 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm on Linux, and I can observer similar behaviour to what you report on your Mac.

Dropouts may occur for many reasons. Basically they occur when some part of the system cannot keep up with the amount of audio data, so some of the audio data received fails to be written to disk. I think what Audacity is doing is looking for one specific cause of dropouts - when audio data is sent by Audacity for writing to disk, but does not actually get written to disk. Other causes of dropouts are not detected.

If Audacity does not detect dropouts, that does not mean that there were no dropouts, it just means that there were no dropouts of the kind that Audacity can detect.
I have raised this issue with the Audacity team.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by arlie » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Resuming a discussion from a month ago, MacOS 10.13.5 and Audacity 2.2.2:

If Audacity detects (looks for) dropouts when it sends data that does not get written, will that include dropouts which are due to the buffer size setting? Dropouts have been my major inconvenience since I started recording from streaming audio 2 years ago. Last January I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with opening and closing windows, minimizing windows, zooming out on the Audacity display, and tinkering with the latency settings. Then I would watch the activity monitor for cpu usage. One result was that I actually increased the buffer length to 150 milliseconds. When my dropout frequency became less onerous I proceeded with all settings as-is. Since my dropouts aren't detected now can I rule out latency settings as a source?

Second question: I say "actually increased" the buffer length because I believe your documentation suggests reducing buffer length for recent versions of MacOS. Why is that?
arlie

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews