Custom export behaves oddly.

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Custom export behaves oddly.

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 pm

I was trying to export a file to an M4A container with MP3 encoding. You can't do that in the normal export options, these only show M4A with AAC, which is logical, of course.

So I went into custom ffmpeg options. The first thing is that the list on the left shows horizontal blue lines when you scroll down. Not pretty, but not too bad either.

But when I switch from Audacity to the browser (with cmd-TAB), to start a write-up of the possibilities, the custom ffmpeg window is pegged BEHIND the "Save" window. Clicking on the custom ffmpeg window doesn't bring it to front. And what's worse, the "cancel" button on the "save" window doesn't work either.

What's funny, is that when I move the "save" window, the custom ffmpeg window seems glued to it. And selecting still works on the window in the back. You can move the selection with the arrow keys and you can click to select, for as much as it is visible.

There seems to be a problem with window focus. Is this my machine only, or did I stumble upon a bug?

Anyhow, the ESC key closes the window in the back. And then I can cancel the export as usual. So, no biggy, but bound to confuse some users.

I'm on Macos 10.9.5, Mavericks, using Audacity 2.2.2.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Custom export behaves oddly.

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 pm

The blue lines only appear after some clicking around in the list.

On the second try, I moved one window to the left, another to the right. Focus is still wrong, but it lessens the problem. And this time, the windows no longer stick together.

Strange...

EDIT: restarted the Mac. It's still happening. The blue lines appear when scrolling the list. And both windows stick together when I switch to Chrome and back.

EDIT2: On the second try, custom ffmpeg export window and save window stick together immediately when first opened...
cyrano

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:32 pm

Anyone?
cyrano

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:49 pm

On Sierra, the "Configure custom FFmpeg options" dialog appears on top after clicking the "Open custom FFmpeg format options" button.

A slight weirdness ("bug") is that if I then click on the "Save" dialog, the "Save" dialog comes to the front (this should probably not be allowed, but macOS handles modality in a weird way). Once the "Save" dialog is in front, the "Configure custom FFmpeg options" dialog cannot be brought back to the front.

To escape from this; cancel the "Configure custom FFmpeg options" dialog (it is bigger than the "Save" dialog, so it is possible to move it even when it is behind the "Save" dialog), then re-open the "Configure custom FFmpeg options" dialog by clicking the "Open custom FFmpeg format options" button again.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Works fine on my W10 machine

I see no blue lines even after clicking around the list. And the export you describe works fine for - and plays.

I did a lot of QA testing with Custom FFmpeg export recently I see no odd behaviors like you describe Cyrano :?

Update: Ah but then I testing on my Macbook Pro High Sierra 10.1.3.3 - and there indeed I see both (temporary) vertical and horizontal blue liens (boxes?) in both the Formats and Codecs list.

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Further update: but then using the Custom FFmpeg export on the Mac crashed Audacity :o

Peter
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:17 pm

The problem does not affect Linux.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:54 pm

And now I can't crash it on Mac - I used sensible settings this time,

We've long been aware that not all settings work - but it's too huge a a task to test all the combinations

Peter.
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews