V. 2.1.2 Specrogram colors change

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

V. 2.1.2 Specrogram colors change

Permanent link to this post Posted by Chris_A » Mon May 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I'll be staying with V. 2.1.1 since the green background color in Spectrogram view has been eliminated in V.2.1.2. This is not a preference argument, but a usability discussion.

I cannot see the threshold levels in the newer 2.1.2 colors that eliminates the most important reason why I use Spectrogram (log f)--seeing the background noise levels in order to re-EQ the tracks back to a smooth background noise level, which is key to how I use your tool and in particular the Spectrogram view.

Regards,

Chris
Chris_A

Operating System: Please select

Re: V. 2.1.2 Specrogram colors change

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon May 23, 2016 1:57 pm

Chris_A wrote:Just wanted to let you know that I'll be staying with V. 2.1.1 since the green background color in Spectrogram view has been eliminated in V.2.1.2

"Green background"?
Are you referring to "spectral selection"? Here's how it works in Audacity 2.1.2 http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/spec ... ction.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Chris_A » Mon May 23, 2016 2:06 pm

No sir. I didn't want to get into a back-and-forth debate on this, but to clarify my comment, here is an example:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/155096-the-missing-octaves-audacity-remastering-to-restore-tracks/?p=1911135

Regards,

Chris
Chris_A

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon May 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Wow that's weird. How did you do that? Are you using a customized version of Audacity 2.1.1?
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Mon May 23, 2016 2:19 pm

Here's what a default 440 Hz tone looks like on my machine when all Audacity preferences are at their default settings:

Spectrogram log (f):

firsttrack001.png
firsttrack001.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 1067 times

Spectral Selection log(f):

firsttrack002.png
firsttrack002.png (5.03 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Chris_A » Mon May 23, 2016 2:23 pm

Now you've got me worried. I've been using the Windows version, plain and with no bells or whistles, with perhaps the exception of a few added VST add-ons, but otherwise, that's it.

What you have done in V.2.1.2 is to break the deal for me, by whatever means that you've changed your application. I presently cannot recommend to any of my followers to use any version after 2.1.1.

Regards,

Chris
Chris_A

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Mon May 23, 2016 4:36 pm

Baffles me too - I've only ever seen pinky reds and blues (and some white) of the various spectrogram views - never green :?

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Chris_A » Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 pm

BTW: I had just updated from V. 2.1.0 (two versions back) since I didn't receive an automatic notification via Audacity at launch that a new version was available (a feature that both REW and Hornresp provide, two other audio applications). Upon further review, I've had to roll back to V. 2.1.0 for the following reason:

When applying Equalization curves to unmaster music tracks, the common practice is to apply a first guess curve to the track, then look at the resulting "Plot Spectrum" view and Spectrogram (log f), then do an "undo" to go back to the initial EQ curve to update it, then try again. This process is done, back and forth, usually a half dozen to a dozen times, until the resulting music track begins to sound correct and the two mentioned views begin to look like a straight-line 1/f spectrum plot. Then the track is saved, usually without having the save the EQ curve, which is automatically saved to the last version used. However, in V. 2.1.1, the "undo" feature also undo's the EQ curve, something that changed from V. 2.1.0. This is very unfortunate in that it requires the user to save each EQ curve before applying it. That's pretty close to a deal breaker in itself, although it could be accommodated if absolutely necessary. [If there are preferences in 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 to retain the behavior of 2.1.0 in this regard, I didn't find it upon cursory examination.]

Also, the latest EQ curve used was automatically saved before the process would apply it, something that is also necessary since, let's face it, Audacity crashes a lot (Windows 7 version) once it goes to apply the EQ curve. I've always reasoned that this was a reasonable compromise since it appears that a spawned process is actually applying the curve, and if anything gets in its way - it times out and crashes the application. Restart takes few seconds with V2.1.0 and versions before, and nothing is lost. But V2.1.1 breaks that behavior.

I believe that what we have in this case is a situation whereby the developers don't really know how their application is actually being used by its different user groups, and therefore don't have standard regression test cases on the target operating system to test out the change in behavior, instead relying on the users as its alpha or "early beta" test resource when major overhauls are made. The issue here is that you probably don't know how a class of users have been using your tool.

Which is not to say that I'm trying to bite the hand that is feeding, but rather trying to keep the developers providing a really good freeware application from being muscled out in favor of for-profit applications that may in fact cater to such user groups.

I'm providing this information back as a service to you for providing such a useful application (i.e., v. 2.1.0, to date), for my purposes. Thanks for the opportunity to do so.

Regards,

Chris
Chris_A

Permanent link to this post Posted by Gale Andrews » Mon May 23, 2016 5:20 pm

I think Chris_A is referring to the low energy spectral selection colour being green in 2.1.1 and grey in 2.1.2. But isn't the real problem the gaudy colours that mask detail and blur the distinction between different bands? I complained about that https://sourceforge.net/p/audacity/mailman/message/34472808/ but I was a lone voice. Look at this image:

Here is another comparison:
2.1.1_spectral_selection.png
2.1.1_spectral_selection.png (17.55 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

2.1.3-alpha_spectral_selection .png
2.1.3-alpha_spectral_selection .png (17.59 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

Can Chis_A provide us a comparative screenshot in 2.1.2 for that audio that he showed in 2.1.1 and be specific please about the complaint?

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual
Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Operating System: Windows 10

Permanent link to this post Posted by Chris_A » Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 pm

Note that I use your application every day of the week (7/week) for ~6-8 hours/day (average) to unmaster recordings, so I'm not what you'd call a "casual user", but rather a "recent user" since my use of your tool really started in earnest in Jan 2015. That's about 2000-3000 hours of use thus far. The other casual users that I support largely rely on this application.

Chris
Chris_A

Next

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews