Interface

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

Interface

Permanent link to this post Posted by EBo » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:19 pm

Hi,

I'm a new Audacity user although I've known it, heard of it for a very long time. Anyway, something strikes me when using it. I don't mean to sound offensive or rude and I know aesthetic is a personal thing but I find the interface quite ugly. It might be weird to say something negative about a software with such positive 'aura' and reputation. Anyway, I'd like to know if there is any way to modify the interface (some skin or whatever...) or else, do you have plans to change the interface?

I understand design may be not a priority and the features obviously are however I believe a bad interface impacts negatively good code and a nice program deserves a nice design. Just my two cents.

Well, let me know :p

Eric

P.S. Read an old post about a french manual missing and the lack of french contributors. If you still need some help for the french localization, I might help.
EBo

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Interface

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:44 pm

Audacity is built using WxWidgets toolkit (https://www.wxwidgets.org/). Many people think it's not very pretty, but it's one of the best "cross-platform" toolkits available. I'm sure that if we dropped support for Windows and Mac OSX we could make it much prettier (Guess which platform I use ;))
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
steve
Site Admin

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by Robert J. H. » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:10 am

steve wrote:Audacity is built using WxWidgets toolkit (https://www.wxwidgets.org/). Many people think it's not very pretty, but it's one of the best "cross-platform" toolkits available. I'm sure that if we dropped support for Windows and Mac OSX we could make it much prettier (Guess which platform I use ;))

I suppose Unix, unless you're still stuck with CP/M... ;)
Robert
Robert J. H.

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:22 am

steve wrote: I'm sure that if we dropped support for Windows and Mac OSX we could make it much prettier (Guess which platform I use ;))

But then we'd lose almost all our users :ugeek:
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:27 am

EBo wrote: Anyway, I'd like to know if there is any way to modify the interface (some skin or whatever...) or else, do you have plans to change the interface?

A while back some experimentation was done with skins, but support for that was withdrawn - there is occasional discusion about bringing that back. Would you like me to add your vote for that?

Meanwhile one of our senior developers is experminted with an "advanced Audacity" which looks vastly different to the current GUI - it was previewes at our Unconference back in 2014 but has yet to see the light of day.

Personally I am more concerned with audio functionality and usability than I am with a whizz-bang glitzy modern GUI - even those get out of date and old-fashioned given time 8-)

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:46 am

waxcylinder wrote:But then we'd lose almost all our users :ugeek:

Yehbut, we'd only be losing Windows and Mac users :mrgreen:

waxcylinder wrote:Personally I am more concerned with audio functionality and usability than I am with a whizz-bang glitzy modern GUI - even those get out of date and old-fashioned given time 8-)

Personally I like the break from the monotonous grey theme that is currently fashionable for "modern" audio applications. I don't see the great appeal of "being different like everyone else".

monotony.png
monotony.png (549.99 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by cyrano » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:52 am

That dark look comes from the studio environment. Usually, recording rooms and control rooms have very dimmed lighting and the people working in there don't like their computer screens to stand out as a light source.

Personally, I don't care, as the two tools I use for recording, both are bright, but I record mostly on location and these are bright places too.

I guess for home recording users, it's more of a fashion, a seemingly professional look. And some prefer other looks, as several DAW's are skinnable and bright skins seem popular too.

I would welcome a more modern look for Audacity, but it's not important. I go for stability first, features second and looks after that.
cyrano

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Permanent link to this post Posted by steve » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:56 am

cyrano wrote:I go for stability first, features second and looks after that.

+1
steve
Site Admin

Permanent link to this post Posted by Edgar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 pm

I agree that stability (to include bug squashing) is number one, features number two and the look of the GUI a distant third (as long as it does not affect usability). When it comes to improving the GUI I believe that font sensitivity (the ability of the user to control the size, and secondarily the family, of the interface fonts – button and other widget labels, tooltips, on-screen text etc.) is the most critical. I also like the ability to change the interface colors but I do not like skins:
mine.png
My highly customized version of Audacity 2.0
mine.png (453.7 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

the current alpha:
3.1.2.png
Audacity 2.1.3alpha 20 January 2016
3.1.2.png (144.64 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

For font sensitivity look at the timelines and the meters. I like distinct pastel colors so that controls are easily distinguished but one could use shades of gray or bold primary colors. The switch to wxWidgets 3 has vastly improved the button font in Audacity 2.1.3. Font sensitivity is increasingly important as monitor resolution increases.
-Edgar
compiling Audacity daily
64-bit Windows 7
Edgar
Forum Crew

Operating System: Windows 7

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:28 am

While I think changing the colours around is a neat idea, assistance and efficient help can depend on keeping the basic colours right where they are.

"View > [X] Show Clipping (select). Look for red slices in the timeline when the blue waves reach the range extremes (100%)."

"Oh, they're not. What colour are they now?"

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews