USB turntables excessive output

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x

This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like

USB turntables excessive output

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:26 pm

I thought all USB turntables suffered from excessive output level with no gain control on the turntable and no ability for the operating system to control the level,i might be wrong (i was)I use THE GAIN CONTROL on my ION TAPE 2 PC unit as a pre amp play through to adjust the input level on my ion usb record deck it works fine-mickthefish.
Last edited by mickthefish on Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickthefish

Operating System: Windows XP

Re: USB turntables excessive output

Permanent link to this post Posted by waxcylinder » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm

My ION ittUSB USB record deck did have a gain control - but in a very unergonomic place - it was a small knurled knob underneath at the back.

The deck gave very poor results though as the platter was far too light, yielding very noticeable amounts of wow&flutter. So I ditched in favour of rercycling my old Technics deck and adding an ART reamp and an Edirol USB soundcard - both of those had gain controls on.

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *
waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: USB turntables excessive output

Permanent link to this post Posted by mickthefish » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:08 am

thanks wax.I take your point about the knurled knob it sounds horrendous!,but I've never heard of wow & flutter coming from a record deck or from vinyl(only from tape) your set up sounds great though-mickthefish.
mickthefish

Operating System: Windows XP

Return to Audacity 2.x Feedback and Reviews