ALAC info missing / confusing!

Help for Audacity on Windows.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on Windows.
Please state which version of Windows you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Help menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
MrSinatra
Operating System: Windows 7

ALAC info missing / confusing!

Post by MrSinatra » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:40 pm

hi all,

basically, I want to be able to export direct to ALAC. here, it says that is possible:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/FFmpeg_integration

right above the chart:

"Audacity also now supports import and export of 16-bit Apple Lossless (ALAC)."

here it says the opposite:

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Expor ... ariants.29

"Current versions of Audacity can export directly to M4A (AAC, but not ALAC)"

so my question is:

CAN I actually export direct to ALAC as a m4a?

if so, how?

if not, why not?

and does anyone know of a small, nifty lightweight utility to convert FLAC to ALAC?

thx.

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: ALAC info missing / confusing!

Post by Gale Andrews » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

ALAC export works, but only if you export using (external program). I've updated both pages, please see those for more information.

Please post to the Forum board for your operating system if asking questions about encoding and decoding files. Assuming you are still using Windows, try dBPowerAmp .

Gale
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

MrSinatra

Post by MrSinatra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:32 am

thank you!

the command worked great, I was able to import my wav from DVD to audacity natively at 48khz (by first setting it as the project rate prior to import) and then I was able to export it to ALAC as a m4a, and play it in winamp, also at 48khz. so very smooth once I had your knowledge boost!

however, the wav files had some rudimentary tag info, that audacity seemingly recognizes, (as does windows explorer), but unfortunately this info was not populated / xfer'd into the m4a. had to do that part manually. is there a switch I can add to your ALAC command line to xfer tags?

thanks again!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:00 am

MrSinatra wrote: is there a switch I can add to your ALAC command line to xfer tags?
You can explicitly add metadata with something like:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i - -acodec alac -metadata title=my_title "%f"
but note that a limitation is that the metadata cannot include spaces.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:12 pm

steve wrote:You can explicitly add metadata with something like:

ffmpeg -i - -acodec alac -metadata title=my_title "%f"
but note that a limitation is that the metadata cannot include spaces.
I don't know if it's different on Linux, but on Windows (for LAME and FFmpeg) you can include spaces in tags by quoting the tag for example:

ffmpeg -i - -acodec alac -metadata title="cats and dogs" "%f"
This page has some information on permitted FFmpeg tags: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?tit ... g_Metadata but it could be somewhat out-of-date.

Gale
* * * * * Tips * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Quick Start Guide * * * * * Audacity Manual

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Gale Andrews wrote:I don't know if it's different on Linux, but on Windows (for LAME and FFmpeg) you can include spaces in tags by quoting the tag
That's what should happen, but it didn't work for me on Linux. Possibly a minor bug. It works fine at the command line, but in Audacity FFmpeg complains because it thinks that a quoted tag is a file.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Gale Andrews
Quality Assurance

Post by Gale Andrews » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:06 pm

MrSinatra wrote:I was able to import my wav from DVD to audacity natively at 48khz (by first setting it as the project rate prior to import)
The project rate should change to the rate of the imported file unless you already have another track present.

Gale

MrSinatra

Post by MrSinatra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:17 pm

i'll just enter metadata after the fact. doing it at the command line isn't for me. I was hoping for an automated way via a switch. no big deal.
Gale Andrews wrote:
MrSinatra wrote:I was able to import my wav from DVD to audacity natively at 48khz (by first setting it as the project rate prior to import)
The project rate should change to the rate of the imported file unless you already have another track present.

Gale
well, it didn't for me.

my wav's are 48khz b/c they are from DVD. I imported to audacity and first made FLACs, and later noticed the FLACs were 44.1

I then got your post, and on my own, saw the project rate dropbox, set it to 48khz, and imported the wavs. made the ALACs and they were 48khz.

so it would seem Audacity has a small bug, if its supposed to match the files sample rate on import.

MrSinatra

Post by MrSinatra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:20 pm

here's another question I have:

what is the version of FFmpeg I should be using?

I installed whatever ver the audacity DL buttons in the prefs sent me to, which looks like 0.6.2

is that the current, latest, stable ver? in the command window when u make an ALAC, it looks like its from 2010/2011.

MrSinatra

Post by MrSinatra » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:28 pm

MrSinatra wrote:i'll just enter metadata after the fact. doing it at the command line isn't for me. I was hoping for an automated way via a switch. no big deal.
Gale Andrews wrote:

Gale
well, it didn't for me.

my wav's are 48khz b/c they are from DVD. I imported to audacity and first made FLACs, and later noticed the FLACs were 44.1

I then got your post, and on my own, saw the project rate dropbox, set it to 48khz, and imported the wavs. made the ALACs and they were 48khz.

so it would seem Audacity has a small bug, if its supposed to match the files sample rate on import.
hmm, I just did an experiment and I can't reproduce. on wav import and export to flac, the whole thing went at 48khz automatically, even after I changed the default rate in prefs to 44.1

what I can't explain then, is why my initial FLACs were 44.1? they were, but how that happened I have no idea, as I know I didn't mess around with the prefs or project rate until AFTER making that initial FLAC.

but if I can't figure out the steps to reproduce, I can't prove the bug. I don't use audio editing much, but i'll try to keep an eye out from now on. (maybe it has something to do with how things were the last time I used Audacity, or the upgrade I did to 2.0.5 from 2.0.3 I believe)