Can I mix on the *Same* track?

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
Rickenbacker
Operating System: Please select

Can I mix on the *Same* track?

Post by Rickenbacker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:56 pm

Normally, when you're mixing 2 tracks, they're on 2 separate tracks. What I'm trying to do is mix within a *single* (stereo) track.

Is this doable? How?

PGA

Re: Can I mix on the *Same* track?

Post by PGA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:42 pm

Mixing involves at least two sound sources. What are your two sound sources? How are you getting the two sounds into the computer?

Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:38 pm

I had music already in my computer.So I imported both songs into Audacity & I'm trying to blend the end of one song into the start of the other....but on the same track.

PGA

Post by PGA » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:43 pm

That's not the way to do a cross-fade. Apply a gentle fade out to the end of the first track (perhaps 3-7 seconds). Use the Timeshift tool to slide the second track along so that the first few seconds of that overlap with the last few seconds of the first track. Apply a gentle fade in to the start of the second track (perhaps 2-5 seconds). Reposition the overlap to achieve the result that you want. Remember you can always undo the fades off and start again with different lengths of fade.
When you export the project, the two stereo pairs will be "merged" as a mixed down stereo pair.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:01 pm

The method that PGA describes is the "proper" way to do a cross-fade, but there are a couple of plug-ins available that enable cross-fading songs that are one after the other on the same track. Two versions are available from the first post in this topic: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 29#p160229
Please read the "Help" screens that are included with the plug-ins.

The plug-ins are both "Nyquist" plug-ins. Instructions for how to install are here: http://audacityteam.org/download/plugins
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:15 pm

That's how the video people do it and it makes me crazy because you can't "see" the edit. You have to keep it in your head and remember it as you go. If you have a complex show, there's no way to get a feel for what you did -- although I know people who do it. When I ask about it, I always get a blank look, "I just know it's there.."

That's why you're editing and I'm not.

Koz

Rickenbacker

Post by Rickenbacker » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks, people! I managed to do it the way PGA described, but I def' wanna check out the plug-in.
Thank you! :D