Problem sharing Audacity projects

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
RogerL
Operating System: Please select

Problem sharing Audacity projects

Post by RogerL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:21 pm

First I'm using Windows XP and IE, Windows Vista and 7 are also being used

I was trying to send an Audacity file to a friend long distance so that we could collaborate on a song. In essence it seemed that this would be possible but upon application we found that it was not possible to send the "data" portion of the file. This forced me to break each section or track down to a separate mp3 to send via email, it sure would be nice to be able to share a project in Audacity without all the extra steps. Which I'm sure are not adding to the quality of our desired end product. Thoughts?

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Problem sharing Audacity projects

Post by kozikowski » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:21 pm

it was not possible to send the "data" portion of the file.
Because it was too big for email? Yes, the _data folder has all the actual music data and in a large format, so it can be substantial. We recommend Zipping the whole thing into an archive file and send that. That should work because the transmission system only sees one large data file instead of having to manage thousands of individual files.

And, of course, the transmission system has to be able to handle large files. I think DropBox® and some others like that can handle this.

Koz

waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by waxcylinder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:29 pm

see this page from the Audacity Wiki: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Sendi ... _to_others

WC
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Thanks, I will look into the Wiki suggestion but I will add that I was trying to use dropbox, the problem I was having was that it would not even let me try to move the data file at all. When I tried to click on the file it would not even capture it, perhaps zipping it might work so I'll have to try that.

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:58 am

Well the saga continues . . . I was able to send the project by zipping it but was surprised to find that when my buddy opened the project it was overdriven. What we are sending amounts to a instrument track and a stereo vocal track, the vocal track is distorted and sounds over driven and down in the mix. He says when he moves the slider left or right it seems to clean the track up and brings the volume up in the mix. When the tracks were recorded and played back on my end it was dead center and the mix was at the right volume level . . . He played the tracks where I could hear them and it definitely sounds muddy, down in the mix and somewhat distorted with the fader centered. I can't figure why it would be distorted just zipping it and sending it in Dropbox

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 am

Get them to send it back and you open it. Hide the original so your system doesn't open up the wrong one by accident. Koz