Gverb suggestion

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
RogerL
Operating System: Please select

Gverb suggestion

Post by RogerL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 pm

It sure would be nice to be able to dial in the effect the same as you would with a amplifier or PA unit, instead of the hit or miss method now in place. Of course the most desired use of that effect would to be able to adjust it on the fly so to speak . . . to be able to adjust to taste while listening in real time. Thoughts?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Gverb suggestion

Post by steve » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:21 pm

This is currently being discussed by some of the developers.

Introducing any type of "real-time" effects would be a very big job, but one approach that is being considered is to introduce "real time preview". That would mean that you could twiddle the controls while previewing the effect and hear the result. This is not the same as "non-destructive real-time processing" as the effect would still be "applied" to the selection on pressing the OK button. This would still be a lot of work, but for Audacity this approach has many advantages, not least of which is that it could be introduced incrementally, one effect at a time as modules, so it would not destabilise the core Audacity code and it would not push up the minimum system requirements. I think this would be of enormous benefit to Audacity and Audacity users.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:39 pm

Thanks for your quick response Steve, I understand what you're saying and I believe that that would be a viable compromise. I truly appreciate your attention to this matter

PGA

Post by PGA » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:07 pm

If this needs votes on the suggestions pages then, +1 from me, please.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 pm

Personally I see it as more than a compromise Roger.

There are lots of real-time DAW programs available (Logic, ProTools, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Ardour, ....) but Audacity is virtually unique as a cross-platform multi-track audio editor. Real-time DAW programs need to apply all of the processing during playback, which can be very demanding on computer power. With the machines that many Audacity users have, there is enough trouble trying to get a couple of tracks to record/play smoothly without the additional burden of simultaneously applying a fistful of real-time effects.

An additional benefit of the (non-real-time) processing in Audacity is that the visual waveform is drawn from the actual audio data. Usually in real time DAWs, the wave display just shows the original waveform, not the processed waveform.

In some cases the quality of an effect may be compromised by the need to make it work in real-time, for example low complexity reverb effects are often used in preference to more complex ones so as to keep the CPU overhead reasonable. This is not something that Audacity needs to concerned about because the effect does not need to be rendered in real time.

Above all, some things are just much easier to do with an "editor" type program, for example if you have a bass track and you want to invert one note, in Audacity you just select the note and invert it. I'm not sure how you would do that in a real-time non-destructive environment, probably you would need to insert a phase effect into the channel and use track automation to invert at the appropriate point.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that Audacity is "better" than non-destructive real-time multi-track audio applications (or vice verse), I'm just indicating that they are different and that Audacity fulfils a much needed role.

RogerL

Post by RogerL » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:15 pm

I understand your point, real time editing may not be the best as you put it to get this job done. What I meant as far as the compromise is that to do the effect as you mentioned in the preview seems like a good trade off to get the job done without compromising the integrity of Audacity. The "Real time" suggestion was just that, a suggestion to get a better handle on the Gverb. As it is now there are parameters that effect the Gverb that are a guess at best and at times very trying since we must put the effect into place to judge the effect.

steve
Site Admin

Post by steve » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:08 am

RogerL wrote:to do the effect as you mentioned in the preview seems like a good trade off to get the job done without compromising the integrity of Audacity.
I think that's an excellent way of describing it :P
RogerL wrote:As it is now there are parameters that effect the Gverb that are a guess at best and at times very trying since we must put the effect into place to judge the effect.
I quite agree, though I do find that the "Duplicate and mix together" method helps. (see here: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/GVerb ... x_together )