malware at audacity.de

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
UlrichW
Operating System: Windows 10

malware at audacity.de

Post by UlrichW » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:49 pm

Hello, I am writing to this forum because I haven't found a better place. Maybe someone can help me with an appropriate email address?

If you search with an IP-address from Germany for "audacity" or "audacity download", Google returns in first position "www.audacity.de".

If you open the page, it looks plausible. Obviously it shows the content of some earlier version of an original audacity page.

However, the audacity.exe you get there is infected by malware:„PUA:Win32/Presenoker“. (Thanks to MS Defender I didn't install it ;-) If you search for "audacity PUA:Win32/Presenoker" you get many hits.

The problem obviously exists already for several years.

I would strongly recommend that some responsible at Audacity registers the domain audacity.de for the team/organization. It would require a DISPUTE-request at DENIC.de. However, Audacity is a registered trade mark and audacity.de is obviously abused. So it shouldn't be too difficult to get the domain transferred.

So again: Can anybody tell me an appropriate contact at the audacity team?

Ulrich

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: malware at audacity.de

Post by steve » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:58 pm

It would be great if they were shut down. Unfortunately that's not easy to do. Even if we were able to obtain audacity.de, I expect they would simply register another similar domain name, and then another one, ...
I'm hoping that we may be able to take legal action against them, though that's not easy across national borders. It's unfortunate that Google are so reluctant to de-list the site. Perhaps if enough people complain to Google they may take some notice: https://safebrowsing.google.com/safebro ... are/?hl=en
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)