Ability to disable tag dialogue when exporting many clips

Feedback and Reviews for Audacity 2.x
Forum rules
This board is ONLY for general feedback and discussion about Audacity 2.X.

If you require help, or think you have found a "bug", please post on the forum board relevant to your operating system.
Windows
Mac OS X
GNU/Linux and Unix-like
davidzweig
Operating System: Windows 10

Ability to disable tag dialogue when exporting many clips

Post by davidzweig » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Hello,

I am putting together some tools for creating language learning materials (see https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7169).
Thanks for the great tool.

For my use case, I have an issue. I am trying to use Audacity to automatically mark speech and export clips of audio, say, 400 clips per recording.
Marking the audio works very well, however, when I go to File -> Export -> Export Multiple, I am prompted to create a tag for each output file. This is too tedious, and in fact no tag is needed.

I think I found the code that would need to be edited:

At line 388 in Export.cpp there is this method: Exporter::Process(AudacityProject *project, bool selectedOnly, double t0, double t1)

It should be sufficient to comment out this code, or disable it via a checkbox in the UI?

// Let user edit MetaData
if (mPlugins[mFormat]->GetCanMetaData(mSubFormat)) {
if (!(project->DoEditMetadata(_("Edit Metadata Tags"), _("Exported Tags"), mProject->GetShowId3Dialog()))) {
return false;
}
}

I tried to compile the project on windows, unfortunatly, I have the same issues as this other user: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=88135&sid=f74c6ac9 ... b&start=10

If you could add such an option in the next build, it would be useful for me.

Many Thanks,

David

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Ability to disable tag dialogue when exporting many clip

Post by steve » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm

davidzweig wrote:when I go to File -> Export -> Export Multiple, I am prompted to create a tag for each output file. This is too tedious, and in fact no tag is needed.
The "Prompt" is the "Metadata Editor". There's a Preference setting to stop that from popping up: "Show Metadata Tags editor before export" https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/imp ... ences.html
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

davidzweig
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Ability to disable tag dialogue when exporting many clip

Post by davidzweig » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:24 pm

Oh, great, I found it, works fine.

The files I export are renamed with a script to have a name like this:

FRE0001A.mp3

If there was an ability to add a prefix, zero-pad the index, and add a postfix, it would be neat.
I think Adobe Audition can do postfixes and zero pad the index, but no prefix.

Anyway, like this it's ok, I just run a python script to rename the files.

Thanks, David.