Trying to use Ion Express

I am using Audacity 2.1.2 in Ubuntu 16.04. I have a Ion tape express not recognized under t he lsusb command (done with root or without)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Joe

PS no mike input in the laptop just usb my intention is to record cassettes with Audacity.

Has anyone here used Audacity 2.1.2 under Ubuntu 16.04 to record from a Ion Tape Express ?
The tutorials seem to be for Windows or Mac & not much help. Please if anyone has success thanks

I’ve used Audacity 2.1.2 to record from a USB audio interface on Xubuntu 16.04. As far as Audacity is concerned, that’s the same as a USB cassette player (the Linux sound system just sees the USB audio chip, and Audacity just sees what the sound system says it has.)

There are several ways to check which sound cards are installed on Linux. Here’s one. Try this (after connecting the Ion Tape Express) and copy / paste the result into your reply:

aplay -l

(that’s a lower case “L” as the final character)

joe@joe-X555LAB:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: HDMI [HDA Intel HDMI], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 1: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3236 Analog [ALC3236 Analog]
joe@joe-X555LAB:~$
thank you for responding

OK, so the device is not recognised at all.

Does the device have a detachable USB lead? If it does, try another lead.
Have you tried plugging into a different USB port on your computer?
Are you able to test the device on another computer?
Does the Ion tape express show any signs of life (such as the tape going round when you press the “Play” button)?

OK, so the device is not recognized at all.

Does the device have a detachable USB lead? If it does, try another lead.(Will pickup another usb cable on 03/29/18)
Have you tried plugging into a different USB port on your computer? (yes similar results)
Are you able to test the device on another computer?(In hospital now will try later)
Does the Ion tape express show any signs of life (such as the tape going round when you press the “Play” button)? (Yes when connected to the USB cable the tape does go around)

Also I downloaded WINE & the cassette player is not seen in software for Windows. I no longer have my receipt I purchased it so ling ago.
Again thanks for responding