Record always clipping

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

Record always clipping

Permanent link to this post Posted by dwburt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I need some handholding. I've used Audacity before to digitize analog recordings (LP and tape) but now things aren't looking right. It's new hardware and software: Asus GL753VE laptop with StarTech USB to Stereo Audio External Sound Card (is that a naive choice for audio quality?) runiing Linux Mint 18.2 and Audacity 2.1.2. When I start recording the audio track appears compressed and unhelpful - 1st screenshot. [attachment=1] When I Normalize I seem to see clipping - 2nd screenshot. This happens even when I reduce input to less than 10% - screenshot 3. Can someone suggest what I need to change?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-01-27.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-01-27.png (66.97 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-13-26.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-13-26.png (77.95 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-14-30.png
Screenshot from 2018-01-05 14-14-30.png (29.56 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
dwburt

Operating System: Linux Mint

Re: Record always clipping

Permanent link to this post Posted by smokingwheels » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 am

Could you share the Product ID of the StarTech USB to Stereo Audio External Sound Card?

If you have connected a Line level output to a Mic input this may cause clipping of the preamp and converter.
smokingwheels

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by dwburt » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Sorry I didn't see your response sooner. The device is identified as StarTech part # ICUSBAUDIOB. i found that if I turn down volume on the stereo amp to nearly inaudible level then clipping is eliminated but background noise is very high. Audacity noise reduction tool seemed to do a decent job of cleaning things up to listenable quality. Still seems like a long way around for what should have been a very clean signal coming out of stereo system.
dwburt

Operating System: Linux Mint

Permanent link to this post Posted by autodctr » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:52 am

In the clipping one I see that you have the input (pic of microphone) all the way up? Try reducing that until no clipping seen. I would rather have it a little low and then raise the level after recorded.
autodctr

Operating System: Linux *buntu

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:23 am

I think that's the wrong thing.

I have several Startech ICUSB, etc. as in that picture. They're "Stereo" only in that they support stereo headphones. The other side is support for a mono microphone. If you look very carefully at your soundwaves, the two match. So that's not stereo. It's two copies of Left.

I use a Behringer UCA-202 stereo adapter.

It has a place to plug headphones to monitor what you're doing independent of the computer and it's certified for Overdubbing.

I have two.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to GNU/Linux