No sound. Cursor stops.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.

ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.

No sound. Cursor stops.

Permanent link to this post Posted by kullboys » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:46 am

I was playing a song on Audacity and it was working fine. When I clicked on the timeline to move the playing location, I got a message that the playback device could not be loaded. Then, no more sound. I restarted Audacity, and the device I had been using ("HDA [something I don't remember]") was gone, and now I can only choose between "pulse" and "default" (from Alsa). When I try either one, the audio plays for like 50 milliseconds, and then the cursor stands still forever (as well as the volume bars), and no audio comes out anymore.
The program itself doesn't crash or freeze.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
kullboys

Operating System: Windows 10

Re: No sound. Cursor stops.

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:43 am

I was playing a song on Audacity

How? Were you listening to the little speakers on your laptop? Describe what you were doing. We have to build your system in our imaginations.

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: No sound. Cursor stops.

Permanent link to this post Posted by kozikowski » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:44 am

Your info panel claims Windows 10.

Which three-number Audacity are you using and for which OS?

Koz
kozikowski
Forum Staff

Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Return to GNU/Linux