audacity doesn't start! I need some help...

On my machine (I7 Intel, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 950) with Xubuntu 16.04 LTS, Audacity this mornig doesn’t work and has created a zip debug file (that I allow to this post).
I need help for this. Please read the file zip and contact me.
Thanks and regards.
audacity_dbgrpt-2450-20170903T134803.zip (6.29 KB)

When did it last work?
Have you installed any LV2 effects since then? (or any other effects or media software)

I don’t remember when I used Audacity, sorry. Have you read the zip debug file that I attached to my first post?
Thanks. I’m very new in Linux and I need assistance for doing things like configuration of the system and of the applications. I’m sure that in this Forum I’ll find an answer for playing Audacity soon.

I’m not an expert with those debug logs, but it suggests to me that a bad LV2 plug-in is interfering with Audacity loading.

I don’t know if this will work, but it is a simple thing to try:

Find the file “audacity.cfg” in “~/.audacity-data” (.audacity-data is a hidden folder in your home directory).
Replace that file with this one (this disables plug-in support, except for Nyquist plug-ins, in Audacity).
audacity.cfg.txt (138 Bytes)
Note that you will need to edit the name of this file from"audacity.cfg.txt" to “audacity.cfg”

Then try to launch Audacity.

I’ve changed the cfg file as you suggested and restart the pc. After the restart I have launched Audacity but the window of creating the debug report appears. In the attached zip debug file there are the results. It still doesn’t work.
audacity_dbgrpt-2555-20170904T121138.zip (6.32 KB)

Could you try launching Audacity from the command line:

1. Open a terminal window
  2. Enter the command:
audacity

Copy and paste the output that appears in the terminal window into your reply.

Something else for you to try, and I’m quite hopeful that this will fix the problem:

Locate the file:

/usr/lib/dssi/amsynth_dssi.so

and rename it:

/usr/lib/dssi/amsynth_dssi.so.bak

Then log out and back in again.

Here we are with le screenshot of the terminal (see attachment)
Istantanea_2017-09-04_13-49-16.png

OK, thanks. Audacity is crashing too early for that to tell us anything useful.

Please try the suggestion that I posted here: audacity doesn't start! I need some help... - #7 by steve

After renaming the file, log out and log in, I’ve launched Audacity via CLI:

marco@PC:~$ audacity

(Audacity:6047): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
no more csLADSPA plugins
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2266:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm_route.c:867:(find_matching_chmap) Found no matching channel map
Cannot connect to server socket err = Connessione rifiutata
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'stream->playback.pcm' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 4611
Expression 'ret' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1736
Expression 'AlsaOpen( &alsaApi->baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &self->pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1904
Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_Initialize( &self->capture, alsaApi, inParams, StreamDirection_In, NULL != callback )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2171
Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Initialize( stream, alsaHostApi, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, callback, streamFlags, userData )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 2840
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic sinistro/trascina sinistra', accel string ignored.
14:46:17: Debug: Unknown accel modifier: 'maiusc'
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic sinistro', accel string ignored.
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic destro', accel string ignored.
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic sinistro/trascina sinistra', accel string ignored.
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic sinistro', accel string ignored.
14:46:17: Debug: Unrecognized accel key 'clic destro', accel string ignored.

audacity is open! Success! Thank you very much!

Excellent :slight_smile:

Now perhaps you can help me and other Linux users of Audacity, and at the same time we can tidy up the breakage that we have just created.

What we’ve done to get Audacity working, is to remove amsynth_dssi.so from your system, so in the process we have broken amsynth.
Do you recall installing amsynth?
Did you particularly want amsynth?

Which package manager(s) are you comfortable using? How do you usually install software?

At this moment no need to use amsynth. In which way can I help ?

I’ve installed the repository version of amsynth for Xubuntu 16.04, and I don’t see the problem :confused: so I’m trying to determine where exactly your file “amsynth_dssi.so” came from, and which version it is.

Rename the file from “/usr/lib/dssi/amsynth_dssi.so.bak” back to its original name “/usr/lib/dssi/amsynth_dssi.so”, (log out and back in to ensure that the system can see it) then try these two commands in a Terminal:

amsynth -v

which amsynth

For reference, I get “amsynth 1.5.1 – compiled Aug 11 2015 06:35:16” for the first command, and “/usr/bin/amsynth” for the second.

now it seems working but I have not yet recorded anything.
On my station there are a Midi-Usb 49 keys keyboard and a cheap microphone (inputs).
Istantanea_2017-09-04_16-56-26.jpg
Istantanea_2017-09-04_16-46-45.jpg
Istantanea_2017-09-04_16-57-16.jpg
Istantanea_2017-09-04_16-57-48.jpg

marco@PC:~$ dpkg -l amsynth
Voluto=U (non noto)/I (installato)/R (rimosso)/P (rimosso totale)/H (in attesa)
| Stato=Non/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(nessuno)/R (reinstallazione richiesta) (Stato,Err: maiuscolo=grave)
||/ Nome           Versione     Architettura Descrizione
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  amsynth        2:1.8.0-1kxs amd64        two oscillator software synthesiz
marco@PC:~$

That’ll do.
I’m guessing that “kxs” refers to kxstudio

In a Terminal window, enter:

echo | cat /etc/apt/sources.list > ~/sources.txt

This will create a file called “sources.txt” in your home directory. Please attach that file to your reply.

The sources of this pc…
Yes: kxs is for KXStudio repositories…
sources.txt (2.93 KB)

Reason: place images inline to preserve board layout

Question: how can I do?

After you have uploaded an image file, there’s a button that says “Place Inline”. When you click that, it inserts the image at the cursor position in the message composing box.
inline.png
It looks like this in the message composing box:

[attachment=0]name-of-image-file[/attachment]

and when you post (or Preview) the post, you will see the image.

OK, thanks a lot.