Audacity crashes frequently while using spacebar [SOLVED]

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
dany2
Operating System: Please select

Audacity crashes frequently while using spacebar [SOLVED]

Post by dany2 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi,

I really have big problem in my daily use of audacity (2.0.5) on my Mint 17 system. The program ALWAYS crash, sooner or later when I use it. It is very annoying, and sometimes it force me to use windows instead. In windows it never crashes.

I've found a bug which more or less is spot on my problem:
http://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276

The difference is that I do not need to hit the spacebar 6-7 times a second to make audacity crash. In a typical session I USE the spacebar a lot, to start and stop the playback. The reason is that I'm using Audacity for transcribing music (note by note), and in this process it is very handy to loop small pieces of the music. After I've figured out what is played, I move on to the next section, loop it, and so on.

No one of the suggested workarounds works for me:
*) Setting PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 might improve the situation a bit, but Audacity still crashes often enough to really annoy me.
*) Bypass Pulseaudio by setting the playback and recording device to an ALSA (hw) choice, simply doesn't work. It just gives an error message.
*) Uninstalling pulseaudio isn't really an option either

The issue seems to be very old. I found a forum post from 2009
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic ... 18&t=19535

Is there anything I can do?

Any help appreciated!

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity crashes frequently while using the spacebar

Post by steve » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:11 pm

You could try the launch workaround but with a higher value. To test:
Press F2 to open a command prompt, then enter:

Code: Select all

env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=300 audacity
dany2 wrote:Bypass Pulseaudio by setting the playback and recording device to an ALSA (hw) choice, simply doesn't work. It just gives an error message.
The hw option will give an error if anything else is accessing the sound system. If the launch workaround does not work for you we can investigate this option further.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

dany2
Operating System: Please select

Re: Audacity crashes frequently while using spacebar [SOLVED

Post by dany2 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Setting PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=300 solved my problem.

Thanks a lot for the help, Steve!