Compile Error Ubuntu 12.04[SOLVED]

Dear All:

I am attempting to compile from the source code audacity 2.0.3. I have wx-Widget version 2.8.12 which according to some is the correct version for this and according to others wont work. The compile error I get is something like this:

libaudacity.a(XMLTagHandler.o): In Function ‘XMLTagHandler::ReadXMLChild(char const)':
blah/blah/XMLTagHandler.cpp:202:
undefined reference to 'wxString::wxString(char const
, wxMBConv const&, unsinged int)’

I actually get a couple of pages of this error…

I had succesfully compiled from source several weeks ago (older version 2.0.2), but when it would not compile I decided to get the newest one, and it wont compile either with same error.

I know I definately updated my Ubuntu with Upgrades and that could have upset the wxWidget libs,
but not sure how to fix this error.

Anyone know what this is and how to fix?

Thanks, need to make changes to my version of Audacity, so I have to use the source…

Todd

wx2.8.12 is the recommended version for Audacity 2.0.3.

But unless you use 2.8.13 you may get issues with “complete or partial loss of Audacity menu bar”. See the 2.0.3 Release Notes for details.

Not enough make output provided.

I can compile Audacity fine on Ubuntu 12.04 and I keep it upgraded.

I suggest

sudo make distclean

then delete the Audacity source code tree. Then follow Missing features - Audacity Support .

Gale

Thanks Gale,
I will try what you suggested. Bit confused though, why do I need the sudo make distclean if I am just going to blow away the source tree anyway…?

Todd

Ok, did as suggested, still same error…

Here is some of the output from the start of the errors…

g++ -o ../audacity AColor.o AboutDialog.o AudacityApp.o AudioIO.o AutoRecovery.o BatchCommandDialog.o BatchCommands.o BatchProcessDialog.o Benchmark.o CaptureEvents.o Dependencies.o DeviceManager.o Envelope.o FFmpeg.o FFT.o FileIO.o FileNames.o FreqWindow.o HelpText.o HistoryWindow.o ImageManipulation.o InterpolateAudio.o LabelDialog.o LabelTrack.o Languages.o LangChoice.o Legacy.o LoadModules.o Lyrics.o LyricsWindow.o Matrix.o Menus.o Mix.o MixerBoard.o PitchName.o PlatformCompatibility.o PluginManager.o Printing.o Profiler.o Project.o RealFFTf.o Resample.o RingBuffer.o Screenshot.o Shuttle.o ShuttleGui.o ShuttlePrefs.o Snap.o Spectrum.o SplashDialog.o SoundActivatedRecord.o Tags.o Theme.o TimeDialog.o TimeTrack.o TimerRecordDialog.o Track.o TrackArtist.o TrackPanel.o TrackPanelAx.o UndoManager.o UploadDialog.o VoiceKey.o WaveClip.o WaveTrack.o WrappedType.o commands/AppCommandEvent.o commands/BatchEvalCommand.o commands/Command.o commands/CompareAudioCommand.o commands/CommandBuilder.o commands/CommandDirectory.o commands/CommandHandler.o commands/CommandManager.o commands/CommandSignature.o commands/CommandType.o commands/ExecMenuCommand.o commands/GetAllMenuCommands.o commands/GetProjectInfoCommand.o commands/GetTrackInfoCommand.o commands/HelpCommand.o commands/ImportExportCommands.o commands/Keyboard.o commands/MessageCommand.o commands/PreferenceCommands.o commands/ResponseQueue.o commands/ScreenshotCommand.o commands/ScriptCommandRelay.o commands/SelectCommand.o commands/SetProjectInfoCommand.o commands/SetTrackInfoCommand.o effects/Effect.o effects/Generator.o effects/EffectCategory.o effects/EffectManager.o effects/SimpleMono.o effects/SimplePairedTwoTrack.o effects/SBSMSEffect.o effects/TimeScale.o effects/SoundTouchEffect.o effects/LoadEffects.o effects/Amplify.o effects/AutoDuck.o effects/BassTreble.o effects/ChangePitch.o effects/ChangeSpeed.o effects/ChangeTempo.o effects/ClickRemoval.o effects/Compressor.o effects/Contrast.o effects/DtmfGen.o effects/Echo.o effects/Equalization.o effects/Fade.o effects/FindClipping.o effects/Invert.o effects/Leveller.o effects/Noise.o effects/NoiseRemoval.o effects/Normalize.o effects/Paulstretch.o effects/Phaser.o effects/Repair.o effects/Repeat.o effects/Reverse.o effects/Silence.o effects/StereoToMono.o effects/TimeWarper.o effects/ToneGen.o effects/TruncSilence.o effects/TwoPassSimpleMono.o effects/VST/VSTEffect.o effects/Wahwah.o export/Export.o export/ExportMultiple.o export/ExportMP2.o export/ExportMP3.o export/ExportOGG.o export/ExportFLAC.o export/ExportPCM.o export/ExportCL.o import/Import.o import/ImportFLAC.o import/ImportLOF.o import/ImportMP3.o import/ImportOGG.o import/ImportPCM.o import/ImportRaw.o import/RawAudioGuess.o ondemand/ODComputeSummaryTask.o ondemand/ODDecodeTask.o ondemand/ODDecodeFFmpegTask.o ondemand/ODManager.o ondemand/ODTask.o ondemand/ODTaskThread.o ondemand/ODWaveTrackTaskQueue.o prefs/BatchPrefs.o prefs/DevicePrefs.o prefs/DirectoriesPrefs.o prefs/EffectsPrefs.o prefs/GUIPrefs.o prefs/ImportExportPrefs.o prefs/KeyConfigPrefs.o prefs/LibraryPrefs.o prefs/MidiIOPrefs.o prefs/ModulePrefs.o prefs/MousePrefs.o prefs/PlaybackPrefs.o prefs/PrefsDialog.o prefs/ProjectsPrefs.o prefs/QualityPrefs.o prefs/RecordingPrefs.o prefs/SpectrumPrefs.o prefs/ThemePrefs.o prefs/TracksPrefs.o prefs/WarningsPrefs.o prefs/ExtImportPrefs.o toolbars/ControlToolBar.o toolbars/DeviceToolBar.o toolbars/EditToolBar.o toolbars/MeterToolBar.o toolbars/MixerToolBar.o toolbars/SelectionBar.o toolbars/ToolBar.o toolbars/ToolDock.o toolbars/ToolManager.o toolbars/ToolsToolBar.o toolbars/TranscriptionToolBar.o widgets/AButton.o widgets/ASlider.o widgets/AttachableScrollBar.o widgets/ErrorDialog.o widgets/ExpandingToolBar.o widgets/FileHistory.o widgets/Grabber.o widgets/Grid.o widgets/HtmlWindow.o widgets/ImageRoll.o widgets/LinkingHtmlWindow.o widgets/Meter.o widgets/MultiDialog.o widgets/ProgressDialog.o widgets/Ruler.o widgets/TimeTextCtrl.o widgets/Warning.o xml/XMLFileReader.o xml/XMLWriter.o ondemand/ODDecodeFlacTask.o effects/nyquist/Nyquist.o effects/nyquist/LoadNyquist.o effects/vamp/VampEffect.o effects/vamp/LoadVamp.o import/ImportFFmpeg.o export/ExportFFmpeg.o export/ExportFFmpegDialogs.o NoteTrack.o import/ImportMIDI.o  effects/ladspa/LoadLadspa.o effects/ladspa/LadspaEffect.o -rdynamic  -L/home/bakert/audacity-read-only/lib-src/lib-widget-extra -lwidgetextra      ../lib-src/FileDialog.a ../lib-src/libsoxr.a ../lib-src/libsbsms.a ../lib-src/libnyquist.a ../lib-src/libportmixer.a  libaudacity.a -lmysqlclient -L/usr/local/lib -pthread -lwx_gtk2u_richtext-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_aui-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_xrc-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_qa-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_html-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_adv-2.8 -lwx_gtk2u_core-2.8 -lwx_baseu_xml-2.8 -lwx_baseu_net-2.8 -lwx_baseu-2.8 -lvorbisenc -lvorbisfile -lvorbis -logg -lmad -L/usr/local/lib -lsndfile -lFLAC++ -lFLAC -lid3tag -lSoundTouch -lvamp-hostsdk -ldl -lexpat -ltwolame -lportSMF -lportaudio -lasound -lm -lpthread  -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0   -lasound -ljack -lpthread -lrt   -lrt

NoteTrack.o: In function `wxStringBase':
/usr/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:368: undefined reference to `wxStringBase::InitWith(wchar_t const*, unsigned int, unsigned int)'
NoteTrack.o: In function `NoteTrack::DrawLabelControls(wxDC&, wxRect&)':
/home/bakert/audacity-read-only/src/NoteTrack.cpp:324: undefined reference to `wxString::Printf(wchar_t const*, ...)'
NoteTrack.o: In function `NoteTrack::ExportMIDI(wxString)':
/home/bakert/audacity-read-only/src/NoteTrack.cpp:724: undefined reference to `wxString::mb_str(wxMBConv const&) const'
/usr/local/include/wx-2.8/wx/string.h:368: undefined reference to `wxStringBase::InitWith(wchar_t const*, unsigned int, unsigned int)'
NoteTrack.o: In function `NoteTrack::ExportAllegro(wxString)':
/home/bakert/audacity-read-only/src/NoteTrack.cpp:739: undefined reference to `wxString::mb_str(wxMBConv const&) const'

… lots more error just like this…

Todd

I too would guess you don’t need it, but I had a problem once that I could not resolve until I did that before deleting the tree. Maybe it gets rid of some symlink that lives outside the source tree, but I just offer it as something that helped me once.

Gale

No-one else has this problem.

What configure command did you use and did the ./configure output look right?

To me these look like the kind of errors you get from not installing the dev package of wxGTK.

Did you uninstall wxwidgets before following Missing features - Audacity Support ? If not, try uninstalling widgets.

Gale

Did a reinstall, and a compile of wxWidgets after getting wx-setup not found errors… This seems to have fixed it. Trees compile now. Thanks for your help.

Todd