recording stops

This is a problem that plagues me as well… anytime I start recording a track after the first one audacity will always randomly stop recording at some point… sometimes after 10 seconds, sometimes after 2 minutes… it is the single largest bug in this software that I know of and it’s been there forever.

I see, and replied to, a thread with a similar title but had to do with mono channels or something which has nothing to do with my error… the issue here that I’ve had for years and certainly can’t be the only person having is that when I start recording my second track, or third or fourth or 5th or 500th audacity will just stop the recording after a random amount of time… sometimes 1 second, sometimes 5, sometimes 10… It makes the software completely useless. When this happens i see the following error messages in terminal:

Expression ‘PaAlsaStream_WaitForFrames( stream, &framesAvail, &xrun )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 3522
Expression ‘err’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 2627
Expression ‘ContinuePoll( self, StreamDirection_In, &pollTimeout, &pollCapture )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 3152
Expression ‘PaAlsaStream_WaitForFrames( stream, &framesAvail, &xrun )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 3522
Expression ‘ContinuePoll( self, StreamDirection_In, &pollTimeout, &pollCapture )’ failed in ‘src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c’, line: 3152

Ideas?

Is it generally true that Audacity stops relatively quickly – shorter than a minute?

You know we’re going to ask you all the usual questions, right? Do you have enough primary drive space for the work? Is your computer fast enough for multiple channels of live audio? Is your computer doing a million other chores in the background? Are you trying to work over a network?

“Unable to process Stream Direction” sure seems like you’re trying to manage sound over Ethernet or other connection type that can’t keep up.

Unlike spreadsheets, text documents and picture processing, audio is intensely time critical. If the machine can’t process the note you’re singing right now, it will fail.

Koz

The error messages say that your sound system has crashed.

If the sound system crashes, it will usually recover automatically, but that is too late for Audacity which requires a continuous and stable data stream.