Update to 3.1.3 Linux Mint

Hi.
I can’t get the update to work for Linux mint.
No matter what I do I get told the file is not a debian installation file…
How do I update to 3.1.3 with Linux Mint?

Thanks…

It’s an “AppImage”. You just need to give it execute permission. See: How to Use AppImage in Linux [Complete Guide]

THanks for the suggestion Steve, but when I said ‘no matter what I do’ I should have explained I’ve done all the usual things…
I’ve given execute permissions,
The Deb installer does see the file and does open it to intall from it, but tells me this is NOT a debian installation file.
(I presume meaning it’s the wrong format)

[/quote]

Q) which version of Linux you are using,
A) Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Q) the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
A) Currently running Audacity 2.1.2

Q) whether you installed your distribution’s release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.
A) was a long time ago, can’t remember.

The file should be called “audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage”, and it is NOT a Debian installation file. It does not need to be installed, you just have to run it.

You could try downloading it from here: Audacity ® | | Download for Linux

When I click it to run it nothing happens at all…
So I clicked and chose rus using and chose the debian installer which gives the attached e
Error.png
rror…

THere isn’t a ‘run’ option when I right click the file…
There is an ‘open’ (which does nothing at all, but no ‘run’

When I try to run it as a command from a terminal window I get:
dave@dave-desktoplin ~/Temp $ audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.appimage
audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.appimage: command not found

I’ve tried the software manager which sees the installed version but offers no options to update.
I’ve tried the synaptics package installer which doesn’t see the file as a valid installation file…

Not sure what to try now, I really would like to update audacity!

I can now get it to run by clicking on the download as it’s downloading which makes it attempt to run the file as soon as it’s downloaded…
Again I get he error:
(See attachment)
Error.png

Where is the file audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.appimage ?

You asked where the file is:
It’s in a temp directory I use for all my downloads & installs…
No others have had any problem with the file being there…

I’ve found a partial way around it.
I found somewhere on the Linux mint help pages that you need to install something called ‘snap’ or ‘snapd’

So I’ve done that and it has installed audacity.

I now have two versions! This new one using the ‘snap’ system is version 3.1.0

It’s not the latest 3.1.3, but it’s better than what I had.

My system -for whatever reason- really doesn’t like that file ‘audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.appimage’

OK, I eventually got the file to run… But here is what happened…

dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $ cd Temp
dave@dave-desktoplin ~/Temp $ ls aud*.*
audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage
dave@dave-desktoplin ~/Temp $ ./audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatk-1.0.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatk-bridge-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo-gobject.so.2
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcairo.so.2
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmodule-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgthread-2.0.so.0
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjack.so.0
findlib: libportaudio.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/dave/Temp/audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage: Using fallback for library ‘libportaudio.so’
/tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity)
/tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/lib-math.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.11' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/lib-network-manager.so) /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/lib-network-manager.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: version ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.1.so) /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciHxUBAj/lib/libbsd.so.0)
dave@dave-desktoplin ~/Temp $

That’s only for running Snap packages. Snap packages have nothing to do with AppImages.

but I assume that you don’t normally run programs from there.

Try this:

1. Move the AppImage to your home directory
  2. Give the AppImage executable permission
  3. Double click on the AppImage.

me result…

dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $ sudo ./audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage
findlib: libportaudio.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
/home/dave/audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage: Using fallback for library ‘libportaudio.so’
/tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity)
/tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/lib-math.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.11' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/lib-network-manager.so) /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/lib-network-manager.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: version ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.1.so) /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaciC7oLRs/lib/libbsd.so.0)
dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $

The AppImage should NOT be run as sudo. Only ever run anything as sudo when you want to modify the system. Audacity should be run with normal user permissions.

I’m not on Mint so circumstances are slightly different. Those error messages look like it’s saying required libraries are not available - but the appimage format is supposed to avoid all that by including all libraries.

What I have is the appimage download saved to ~/bin/ and I run it from there (in fact via a symlink).

If I run it, I also get the findlib: libportaudio.so error message but it works fine. I don’t get the GLIBC errors, however. Maybe Mint is lacking some libraries that most Debian-based systems do have?

The other thing I’m wondering about is that maybe your attempts to install it via the package installer or to run it via sudo have left some components in a mess. But again, the appimage format is supposed to avoid all that.

OK, just to confirm… double clicking it from the file browser has no effect at all…
Running the file from a terminal window has the following effect (regardless of whether or not I use sudo)
dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $ ls auda*.*
audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage
dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $ ./audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage
/home/dave/audacity-linux-3.1.3-x86_64.AppImage: Using fallback for library ‘libportaudio.so’
/tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity)
/tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity) /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version GLIBC_2.27’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/lib-math.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.11' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/lib-network-manager.so) /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.22’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/lib-network-manager.so)
/tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1: version ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-3.1.so) /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/libcurl.so.4)
/tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/bin/audacity: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /tmp/.mount_audaci1f3dsx/lib/libbsd.so.0)
dave@dave-desktoplin ~ $

So we are now saying this upgrade doesn’t work on linux mint?

So, no one knows how I upgrade to version 3.1.3 then?

I’m pretty sure it does, just something more may be needed on your system.

What version are you running now? And how did you download that?

Q) which version of Linux you are using,
A) Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit

Q) the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
A) Currently running Audacity 2.1.2

Q) whether you installed your distribution’s release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.
A) was a long time ago, can’t remember. But I know I didn’t compile anything. I wouldn’t know how to!