How to export the tag image with the music?

Hi, one of the functions I use the most in Audacity is to open a FLAC or WAV format file to export it in MP3 format, to save space on removable devices.
The export embeds all tags from the original file except the image (usually in JPG format). I’d like this tag to be created in the new file as well, and I’m having trouble tweaking Audacity so that it always exports the image along with the other tags.

Could you help me with this?

Thanks.
export options.gif

I’m using Audacity 2.3.3. under Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, Kernel 5.4.0-89-generic
I see the last version is 3.0.5. but the Update Manager simply ignore the new version…
As you can see I’m an absolute beginner with computers so excuse if my question is very primary.

Audacity does not currently support “album art”.
I’d suggest that you use EasyTag to add the required picture to the converted file.

Thank you, steve. You answered me before while I was editing the initial post to include my Audacity’s version.

And than you again for the answer, I’ll take a look in to EasyTag.

(Should I mark this topic as solved or something like? I ask you because there are forum that ask me to do that editing the topic title.)

Let us know how you get on with EasyTag, and if you’re happy then I’ll close this topic.

I’ve installed EasyTag just now. I seems to be an easy-to-use, a friendly program.
I’ve tried to embed all the FLAC files in one folder with the “folder.jpg” file. For that I’ve marked all the files and, in the right panel, added the picture. Then I save all marked files. But only the last one got tagged…

After that I added the picture and save one by one for all the files. When I browse the files using EasyTag I can see all the files are now embed with “folder.jpg”. But when I browse this folder using Nemo only the last file shows the pictures, even after various refreshs. All other shows generic icons…
Captura de tela de 2021-10-26 21-03-11.png

Hmm, yes. That’s a bit confusing.

After selecting the files and the image, you need to click the “Tag selected files with these images” button:
apply.png
Then click the “Save changes to selected files” button in the button bar at the top.
save.png

Thanks for your patience, steve, I followed exactly the instructions you gave but it’s still not working. Below are the screenshots of the files as seen in Nemo and EasyTag.
Captura de tela de 2021-10-27 18-18-29.png
Captura de tela de 2021-10-27 18-19-35.png
I’m certainly doing something wrong, dear steve, because in some of these files, according to EasyTag, there are now not just one but two images embedded. And even so, Nemo shows the generic icon.
Captura de tela de 2021-10-27 18-19-20.png
Searching the Internet I found another tag editor called Kid3. I installed it but maybe for lack of custom on my part, I felt more comfortable with EasyTag.

Am I not confusing something related to the version of the tags? Could a single file have more than one tag embedded?

I don’t have Nemo (my filebrowser is Thunar), but note that it is common for file managers to cache icon images, so changes may not be visible until the cache has been refreshed (perhaps on restart or reboot or manually clearing the cache).

If your files include files that were not created by Audacity, you may need to remove existing art before adding new art.

I have a tempoary folder for all music I purchase, where i do all editing before i add them to my main database.

I don’t usually use artwork in audio files, so I’ve done a bit of testing with Thunar.

When an audio file has no artwork, it displays with the usual icon for an audio file (according to system settings).

If artwork is embedded in the file, it is shown in Thunar immediately.

If new artwork is embedded in a file that already has art, then the new art is added, so that multiple images are embedded. Thunar will chose to display one of the embedded images.

If the album art is updated, so long as there is at least one image embedded, Thunar will display one of the embedded images.

Here’s the interesting bit:
If all images are removed, Thunar will continue to display the last image that was used for the file icon. Thunar is now using a cached copy of the icon.

I’ve not found an easy way to force Thunar to update its icon cache. To reset the icon cache I had to manually clear ~/.cache/thumbnails/
In a Terminal:

thunar -q
rm -R ~/.cache/thumbnails/*

I would guess that something similar will work with other file browsers, (there may also be a cache at ~/.thumbnails)

I’d like to give a try in Thunar but (at least using program manager) it says it’s for Xfce. Is it safe to install under Cinnamon?

Thunar is the default file manager for Xfce (I use Xubuntu, which uses Xfce Desktop).

Although it is possible to use any file manager with any Desktop, it can be rather tricky to do and very easy to break things due to complex integrations of Desktop and file manager. If you like Cinnamon Desktop, I’d recommend that you stick with Nemo.

Dear steve, “nothing ventured, nothing gained”: I haven’t changed anything in the files since the last screen and… Thunar is perfect under Cinnamon!
Captura de tela de 2021-10-28 19-07-35.jpg
Thanks a lot, friend!

Haha, well done. :ugeek: