Compatible microphone for Linux Mint?

Hi, Which kind / model of mic is more likely to work properly.with Linux Mint?
I already tried Audio Technica ATR 2500x USB, but impossible (for me) to get it working correctly, so I returned it.

Any models that would definitely work? For example, either Audio Technica or perhaps Samson CO1?

Would any XLR microphone work, since it goes with its own sound card?

Thanks

I’m a Windows guy but most USB mics, headsets, and and “little” USB interfaces are [u]class compliant[/u] and there should be Linux drivers that work…

But if I buy any XLR microphone and a matching sound card, can I be sure it will work in Linux Mint?

:blush: Steve, I accidentally edited and then deleted your post! :blush:

can I be sure it will work in Linux Mint?

With an [u]USB audio interface[/u] you’ll still have to figure-out the USB drivers.

It’s a month later (but I’ve just joined the forum!) and I don’t use Mint, but here goes:

I got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface (and a Rode NT1-A XLR mic but the actual mic is probably irrelevant). Plugging this into my laptop with Kubuntu 20.04 (uses PulseAudio) it was recognised and worked immediately, no installation or configuration required. In fact it took me longer to remember that you have to switch on the 48V phantom power …

So as the previous posters said, any USB audio interface is likely to be class compliant and work straight away.

I don’t use Mint but use Debian instead.
The Focusrite and Mackie Blackjack USB interfaces work straight away, no extra drivers or downloads required.

As others have written, if it’s class compliant, then the chances of it working are very good.

you have to switch on the 48V phantom power

Only if you want a condenser microphone to work. They have electronics inside and the “battery” has to come from somewhere.

Oddly, it’s not a Forever Law that you use 48 volt phantom power. I have a head-mounted microphone with its own battery and lots of news gathering and performance microphones have their own tiny battery. That would seem awkward and expensive until the first important job where you get stuck with a sound mixer that doesn’t supply 48 volt phantom power. These self-powered microphones will plug into anything.

Koz