Is there a way to right-pad the selection to a given duration with silence?

Hi!

Here is an example of the kind of operation I would like to do.

Suppose that the current selection of audio corresponds to 1.19 seconds of duration. I am looking for a convenient way to insert a stretch of silence to the right of this selection (aka “(right-)padding”) so that the duration of the selection plus the newly added right-padding is 2 seconds.

In this example, the total duration after right-padding is 2 seconds, but in general I would like to be able to specify an arbitrary total duration, and have the necessary length for the padding to be computed by Audacity (by subtracting the length of the current selection from the desired total length).

Is there a way to perform this operation with Audacity?

Thank you in advance!

BACKGROUND
I am using Audacity to create educational materials for learning foreign languages. I have recordings of native speakers saying long sequences of individual words or phrases. Currently the duration of the words and of the silences between the words varies significantly. I would like to make the time T between the beginnings of the words to be close to constant. I would like to achieve this by right-padding each stretch of audio going from the beginning of a word to the beginning of the next word so that the resulting total (original + right-padding) has duration T. (Of course, this scheme presupposes that the chosen T greater or equal to the duration of the longest word in the sequence.)

VERSION INFO
I am using Audacity v. 2.2.2, which I installed from my Linux distribution’s (Debian) stable package repository. Below is the version information for my Linux distribution, and the installed Audacity package.

% uname -srvmpio
Linux 4.19.0-12-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.152-1 (2020-10-18) x86_64 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

% lsb_release --all
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:	10
Codename:	buster

% dpkg-query --list audacity
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-=================================
ii  audacity       2.2.2-1+b1   amd64        fast, cross-platform audio editor

There’s an Audacity plugin, (developed for language tutorials), to automatically extend any “silent” regions …
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/extend-silences/34612/1
I don’t think it matches your brief, but it may still be useful.

@Trebor: Thanks!

Also, see this topic: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-specify-a-list-of-timepoints-for-a-plugin-to-operate-on/61818/1

Closing this topic to avoid duplication.