Audacity "monitor of built-in stereo"

It’s been a few years, but I was using Audacity quite a lot. The issue was that I couldn’t record except through the laptop microphone (HP ZBook i7). I had thought that was a hardware issue (DRM-related) until I tried “simplescreenrecorder” - which offers two audio input options:

• Built-in analog stereo
  • Monitor of built-in analog stereo

The former captures the laptop microphone (along with whatever is coming out through the speakers and room noise) and the latter captures only what signal is going to the speakers.

What is the equivalent function for capturing only the signal to the speakers in recent builds of Audacity?

Thank You!!

See here: Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Linux - Audacity Manual

Ah, I see. Audacity works through the “pulse audio volume control,” which isn’t installed by default. Simplescreenrecorder does not use that, so it can record the monitor stream without it. Thank you very much. :smiley:

It does use PulseAudio (by default), but it doesn’t require PulseAudio Volume Control.

PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) is just a graphical front end to control PulseAudio, so in that respect Audacity does not require pavucontrol. If you are comfortable with using the command line it is perfectly possible to configure PulseAudio without a GUI, but most people (including myself) find it a lot easier to use pavucontrol.