Error: Could not read the contents - Permission denied

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Henr
Operating System: Windows 7

Error: Could not read the contents - Permission denied

Post by Henr » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 pm

Hi!

I like Audacity very much and I have used it a lot on Ubuntu 18.04. Now I installed it on my new Ubuntu 20.04 partition. You can install 2 versions of Audacity directly from the ubuntu distribution release: 2.3.3 and 2.4.2. I installed 2.4.2 of course. But when I want to open a file I get this error:

"Could not read the contents of Skrivebord
Error opening directory '/mnt/4AF15A0435E762B4/DataDoc/OneDrive/Skrivebord': Permission denied"

I can't remember any other software that cannot read that folder...

Then, on https://www.audacityteam.org/download/linux/ I read this:

"Due to reported problems with SnapCraft / Flatpak / PPA versions, our current recommendation for Ubuntu / Mint users is to install the “deb” version from the main repository."

But I don't really know what 'the “deb” version from the main repository' means...

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Error: Could not read the contents - Permission denied

Post by steve » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 am

Henr wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 pm
But I don't really know what 'the “deb” version from the main repository' means...
It's the 2.3.3 version.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Henr

Post by Henr » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:22 pm

OK. I uninstalled the 2.4.2 version and installed the 2.3.3 version. That solved the problem! Thank you.
But why are there 2 versions, and what about ver. 3.0?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 pm

The "deb" version (Audacity 2.3.3) is the current Linux build from Debian. Ubuntu is based on Debian and uses many packages from Debian.
Debian builds frequently lag behind the latest releases but are generally well tested.

The 3.0 version is (probably) a Flatpak build. Flatpak is intended to create binaries (executable apps) that can run on any Linux PC. However, Flatpak seems to be difficult to get right for complex apps like Audacity that require access to multiple computer resources, and I'm not convinced that they've got it right yet (as evidenced by your initial post).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

Henr

Post by Henr » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:36 am

OK. Thank you for the explanation!