libraries heading in prefs not present

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
babag
Operating System: Linux *buntu

libraries heading in prefs not present

Post by babag » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm

audacity 2.3.3 on ubuntu studio 20.04. wanted to check ffmpeg and, when i go to the audacity preferences, there is no heading for 'libraries' as everything i'm seeing online says there should be. what's up with that?

babag

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: libraries heading in prefs not present

Post by steve » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:48 pm

babag wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:23 pm
audacity 2.3.3 on ubuntu studio 20.04. wanted to check ffmpeg and, when i go to the audacity preferences, there is no heading for 'libraries' as everything i'm seeing online says there should be. what's up with that?
Audacity is built for Windows and macOS by the Audacity Team with dynamic loading of FFmpeg. The preference setting indicates where the FFmpeg / LAME library is located.

Audacity is built for Linux by the package maintainer for the distribution. They may chose static linking to FFmpeg and LAME, or they may choose to disable FFmpeg and LAME support. Unless they build with dynamic loading for at least one of FFmpeg / LAME, the preference will not be present.

To check if LAME is enabled, try exporting as MP3. If you can do that, then LAME is enabled.

To check if FFmpeg is enabled, try exporting as .M4A or .AAC, If you can export as either of those formats, then FFmpeg is enabled.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)