Newbie question: Voice editing

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
dark_senpai_7
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Newbie question: Voice editing

Post by dark_senpai_7 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 pm

I am new here and have seen a lot of posts about voice editing. But here is something I have not found that I would like to know about. I have listed two points here so please feel free to respond to whichever you can help with.

Point Number 1:

I know how to shift voices up or down an octave. I want to add voice recordings to my music sheet videos and I chose Audacity because of the reviews I saw.

When I shift the voice up an octave, the result sounds like the chipmunks' voice even when I sing with a low voice. A G3 shifted to a G4 sounds so piercing to the ears. I mean, I know what a G4 sounds like and what Audacity gives me is not it. So please, I need help on fixing it. Maybe because I was singing and Audacity is made for non vocal instruments? Or what is it that I am missing?

When I shift the voice down an octave, the pitch is perfect but I hear no words at all. A G3 shifted to a G2 sounds so...well, it is as if I was mumbling some words in a really low voice. Again, maybe because I was singing and Audacity is made for non vocal instruments? Or what is it that I am missing?

Please I really need those two to work. Most of the time, my voice hits low and high notes but for the purpose of some effect I want to convey, I need to go lower than a G2 and higher than a C4 and my voice breaks at that point. Until I get there, I want to use Audacity.

Point number 2:

Anyone knows how to make a voice sounds like a crowd? I am not sure these are the right terminologies but...if I sing, anyone who listens will know that it is one person and only one person singing. I want to make it sound like a chorus. If I am singing the tenor part, after singing, I want to make it sound like it a tenor chorus singing, not just one person singing.

Oh by the way, how do you make a sound font? I will see this one on Youtube but still, if you know, please point me somewhere.

There we go. My system is ×86_64 GNU/Linux Ubuntu. I downloaded Audacity from the Ubuntu Store.

Thank you!

steve
Site Admin

Re: Newbie question: Voice editing

Post by steve » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:04 pm

dark_senpai_7 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:43 pm
When I shift the voice up an octave, the result sounds like the chipmunks' voice even when I sing with a low voice.
Even Antares AutoTune can't make an octave shift sound natural, and they throw $millions and thousands of hours of developer time at the problem. A generic pitch shifting plug-in has no chance of sounding natural with such a big shift.

dark_senpai_7 wrote:
Anyone knows how to make a voice sounds like a crowd?
Multi-tracking. Record the thing many times, preferably altering your voice each time.
You can also use effects such as "Chorus" and "Delay" to thicken the sound, but mostly go for multi-tracking if you want it to sound convincing.

dark_senpai_7 wrote:
Oh by the way, how do you make a sound font?
On Linux, take a look at "Swami": http://www.swamiproject.org/
(it is available in the Ubuntu repository)
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

dark_senpai_7

Re: Newbie question: Voice editing

Post by dark_senpai_7 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 am

"Multi-tracking. Record the thing many times, preferably altering your voice each time.
You can also use effects such as "Chorus" and "Delay" to thicken the sound, but mostly go for multi-tracking if you want it to sound convincing."

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help. You have shed a bit of light on this. Thank you!