Unable to record music streaming

Hi,

I am running Ubuntu 20.04.02 LTS with Audacity version 2.4.2.

I am unable to record streaming music. The recording is always using the laptop microphone. I have tried settings but with no luck. Wondering if someone can share what the settings should be to record music being streamed an not from the microphone. I use Spotify.

Thank you!

Carmelo

Does this help? Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Linux

Hi,
I been following the instructions and set them as per manual. However, the screen interface is different than what the manual shows. I am using version 2.4.2. With mine interface do not see the following: “Capture from” dropdown, select the “Monitor” option of the playback device used by the application you want to record from.

thank you for your help!

I believe that is a Pulse Audio screen you are referring to, and since I am a windows guy, we are going to have to wait for help from someone that is familiar with Ubuntu.

Please post a screenshot so that we can see what you are looking at.

Hi,

Attached is the screen shot.

thank you!
Screenshot from 2021-04-07 10-14-06.png

You’re looking in the wrong place.
The “Capture from” dropdown is not in Audacity, it’s in “PulseAudio Volume Control”.
See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/tutorial_recording_computer_playback_on_linux.html

Hi,

Is this what is being asked? It shows blank for me. I use this by running pavucontrol.

Thank you for your help!
Screenshot from 2021-04-07 14-41-44.png

That’s probably because Audacity is not recording or monitoring the input.
Try clicking on the recording meter (in Audacity) so that it is monitoring the input, then open PulseAudio Volume Control again.

That was it!!!

Thank you!!!