Audacity still for many years look ugly and not fit with other apps

Help for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
medmedin2014
Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Audacity still for many years look ugly and not fit with other apps

Post by medmedin2014 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm

I tried all themes but it looks really bad and not appealing to work with

Cq3Dysx.png
Cq3Dysx.png (50.75 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Last edited by steve on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Place image inline for easy viewing

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity still for many years look ugly and not fit with other apps

Post by steve » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:18 pm

medmedin2014 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm
Mixing a dark desktop theme with a light app theme is unlikely to look very nice.
You could always create a theme to suit your own taste. See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/themes.html#custom
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

medmedin2014

Post by medmedin2014 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:56 am

steve wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:18 pm
medmedin2014 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:32 pm
Mixing a dark desktop theme with a light app theme is unlikely to look very nice.
You could always create a theme to suit your own taste. See: https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/themes.html#custom
Even with light theme it still looks ugly to the eyes, this is the only app that has this problem, all other apps look nice and follow system theme.
wnagfst.png
wnagfst.png (52.4 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Last edited by steve on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: uploaded image for on-line viewing

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am

medmedin2014 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:56 am
Even with light theme it still looks ugly to the eyes, this is the only app that has this problem, all other apps look nice and follow system theme.
Personally I think it's far more important that Audacity is the best open source audio editor, and one of the few that is available for Linux. However, this is an open source app, so you should be asking yourself "what are you going to do about it?" (Hint: repeatedly complaining that "others" have not made it look prettier is not constructive and only serves to annoy.)

Background:
Back in 2007, I was annoyed by the poor quality of the pink noise generator in Audacity, so I learned enough C++ to be able to improve it, and submitted a patch to the Audacity team. The patch was accepted and Audacity now has an "instrumentation grade" pink noise generator.

Also:
Audacity can look very nice with a custom theme, for example: viewtopic.php?p=422472#p422472
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

medmedin2014

Post by medmedin2014 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:30 am

steve wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am
medmedin2014 wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:56 am
it's far more important that Audacity is the best open source audio editor, and one of the few that is available for Linux.
In this days the look has big role in how much the app is used, the fall of many great products was their bad looks even if they perform better than others, and the time of ugly linux apps is gone, look at GTK3/4 and Qt apps and see how they look good and pleasing to the eyes.