Audacity-2.4.2 no recording output to HDMI (revisited)

old thread, now locked:
https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/hdmi-output-solved/48322/1

I’m starting over, seeing that 3 years on I still can’t get
this done (Asus-g73-Tumbleweed-Plasma)

Using an Asus g73 I set up the PAVU and the Audacity-2.4.2
as shown in the snapshot. This lets me play (out to the
Av-Amp) any audio file imported into Audacity. The TV gets
its signal from the amp. The piece plays with no issues
and I think this tests the HDMI setup. I can also run
video files out with VLC, no problems with sound or image.

THE problem is, still, that I can’t get the monitored recording
out the same way. Almost everything has changed since
2019 so that old thread is not very useful.

In the attached image please note the input option being
“pulse” as well as the fact that ONLY other option would
be “pipewire”. Can this be normal? It doesn’t matter mater
which one I select there is NO recording at all and of
course not into HDMI either.

This was made on Suse Tumbleweed, the dropdowns
don’t work at all which is why I set up in preferences.
Results are a bit different if using jack but I still can’t
get the recording track out into HDMI.

Has anyone actually got this to work on an asus-g73?
What can I do to get to the bottom of it? Is the recorded
track a digital one? Can it be transported via HDMI
if it is?
audacity242-tw-g73-dmi-nojack-audioplay-norecording.png
Since Suse TW and Leap often give inconsistent results
forcing me to use one or the other, I’d like to prove the
setup on both Leap and TW.

thanks

I can’t say what happens with Asus-g73-Tumbleweed-Plasma because I don’t have that, but I can show you how I configure the recording inputs on Xubuntu with my hardware, which you may find helpful.

This is the PulseAudio Volume control showing the available input devices. Notice that even though I have an HDMI device connected, it is not available to record from.

devices.png
This is the “Configuration” tab where I can select from the available configurations. As you can see it is configured to use the computer’s internal sound card for both input and output (“duplex” meaning “bi-directional”).

input.png
By clicking on the big “Profile” button, I can select any of the available configurations. Note that only some of these configurations will work. My HDMI device is a monitor with stereo speakers built in. None of the 5.1 / 7.1 options work because the monitor does not have those speakers. The only HDMI options that do work are the “HDMI 2” because those are the only options that are implemented by the hardware. (There are actually more options than shown, but I have to scroll to see them all).

device options.png

Thank you Steve, I appreciate the time and effort with the snapshots and all. This could become a long thread so I’ll try to do it right for once. I use 2.2.2 and 2.4.2 (Suse Leap-15.2 & Tumbleweed respectively) with/without HDMI output with/without jack and finally when with jack with/without the pajackconnect script. All my problems seem to be on the g73 laptop, my desktop box don’t even have an HDMI connector. So each time I post I will try to state the conditions up front as these will change. I will stick with Leap-15.2 that being my go2 system, TW sometimes works even better but isn’t always stable or reliable.

I took some snapshots and I’ve observed that while the pulse control gui seems to respond quickly to changes (plugging the HDMI cable or pulling it out is almost instantly shown) I’m not sure if Audacity does this too. I don’t know how much image I can upload here in the forum so maybe I’ll just make a web-page each time and link to that.

Later.

Audacity needs to gather a lot of detailed information about the sound system, including a list of devices, how many channels they have, what sample rates they support, what mixer interfaces are available … That takes time, so Audacity avoids doing it repeatedly.

Audacity scans the sound system once when you launch Audacity. Audacity will not see any changes to the sound system unless you either:
A) Restart Audacity
B) “Transport menu > Rescan Audio Devices”.

Alright, and thanks for the info. While you wrote that I did some more TS the sequence being shown here (I could not upload more than 4 images):

tinyurl.com/59lcv893

There are two series of images, the 1st one is a plain-jane run with no frills and no problems. The 2nd one ‘begins’ with just opening the PAVU gui, not changing anything in it, yet this seems to upset everything. When I then launch Audacity it’s an entirely different bal game… :open_mouth:

I don’t get this, pulse is in control ofthe system in run-1 as well is in run-2. By just opening the GUI I don’t EDIT anything…

I’ll be happy to follow up with more TS, I gotta get this sorted out.

Most ALSA drivers (the “hw” options) do not support multiple clients.
When PulseAudio Volume Control is open, it will tend to grab exclusive access to the ALSA devices.

What I generally do is to leave Audacity’s recording / playback devices set to “default” (same as “Pulse” on most Linux systems) and then use PulseAudio Volume Control to select the devices. PulseAudio supports multiple clients, so this method generally avoids problems (works for me).

Note also that very few audio device manufacturers bother making drivers for Linux, so the quality (or buggyness) of the sound card drivers depends on how well members of the Linux community have been able to reverse engineer the drivers.

So the end result is the same as the last time on 2018, I can play anything out to HDMI (the TV) from this Asus laptop be that in Audacity or VLC, but I can not simultaneously monitor Audacity recording on the TV.

It isn’t even recording as such that I want, just the ability to hear my playing while some clientware or other is playing the backing track, looping over and over if desired. I have not been able to do this no matter what.

Another laptop might work I suppose, so I’ll put that up to the salesmen: “show me a backing track and live guitar output simultaneously piped to the TV via HDMI”.