Editing Audacity 2.3.3

Hello All,
I am a long time user of Audacity and appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining it.

I am using Audacity 2.3.3 on Ubuntu 19.10 and have noticed editing is more tedious in this release. For example, and part of this may be just my habits, but I have two monitors one with a spreadsheet with numbers, and the other with the Audadity program. In previous versions, I just went to the spreadsheet “ctl C” the number, then go to Audacity, generate, and “ctrl v” to past the number into either tone or chirp.

This doesn’t work anymore. Often I copy from the spreadsheet paste and the number in either tone or chirp is unchanged. It takes up to three attempts to get the correct number into Audacity tone or chirp, and my confidence in the integrity of the numbers has been shaken.

Unfortunately for me, I am very quick at this process and it is causing me lots of mistakes.

BTW: I have dual boot Ubuntu 19.10 and Windows 10 Pro, and Audacity 2.3.3 exhibits similar behavior when performing the same transition process. Editing often consists of a hundred or more mono tracks, each with a precise odd harmonic. Using my long tested editing technique I have been able to make an mp3 file with a hundred frequencies in about 15 minutes. With great confidence I sat down to make one today, and I am one an a half hours into editing and not finished.

I love Audacity for this kind of physics experimentation. Creating these files by any other method takes even longer yet. Thanks for the hard work, I know it is tedious and time consuming as what we do here…Phil

Where in Tone or Chirp? In the “Frequency (Hz)” field, or somewhere else?

That sounds extremely arduous. Perhaps if you give a full description about what you are doing, I may be able to suggest a less arduous way of doing it.

Hello,

I make treatment files for Rife Machines. These are mp3 files, however they are not music. You see, Doctor Royal Rife discovered in the 1930’s that germs have a resonant frequency. When you vibrate a germ at his specific frequency he breaks and dies. It is not much different than an opera singer hitting just the right note and shattering a wine glass, or the wind vibrating a bridge at it’s resonant frequency and causing the bridge to collapse.

This sounds simple enough, but remember in a family of germs, you have dad, mom, and babies. Their physical dimensions determine the frequency. To eliminate a sickness, you need to kill them all. So my spreadsheet is where I calculated the odd harmonics, and the theory is to stair step these harmonics with a spread both above and below the center frequency, so that you end up with an mp3 rich in harmonics. If I look at this on a spectrum analysis in Audacity, I know when I have the coverage required. Audacity has been used in this way for a very long time.

This audio file can then be used to drive a radio transmitter (low power) and the audio becomes the amplitude modulated radio carrier wave. The propagation of the radio wave can penetrate the human body (these are also used on pets) and the germs will resonate and break. If the calculated coverage includes enough of the various sizes, then the illness can be cured. For example to kill COVID19 takes 140 minutes.

When I paste a number using “ctrl V” I paste it into the field for the number. Previous versions when I tabbed to the field would highlight whatever number was existing there, then pasting overwrote the existing number. This made it quick moving down a list of numbers, create a new track, generate either a tone or a chirp (the frequencies are either steady, or a sweep).

That explains what I am doing, but there are others doing similar work all around the world, particularly now…boolsifter

arduous? You bet it is, I have often dreamed of a macro editor which would allow me to just paste the column of numbers from the spreadsheet into the macro, and let it create the mono tracks. I’m retired, but in my engineering years I created such macros often. These days, I’m up to my ears in the calculations, and experimentation.

This seems to work on Windows W10 with 2.3.3 and the latest alpha test build I have for the upcoming 2.4.0

1. I can have a spreadsheet with numbers
  2. Ctrl+C to copy one of the numbers
  3. Generate Chirp or Tone
  4. Tab to numeric entry boxes (not the spin boxes)
  5. Ctrl+V
  6. Observe Number from spreadsheet is copied into Audacity

Also works for me on macOS 10.15.4 Catalina

So this looks like it may be a Linux-only issue

WC

Thanks waxcylinder,
I rebooted into Windows 10 pro, and copied from spreadsheet and pasted no problem, so perhaps this is Ubuntu 19.10 Audacity 2.3.3 only.

Disclaimer:
Personally I am extremely sceptical regarding the efficacy of Rife Machines. The help that I can offer is in no way an endorsement of your claims of medical benefits. My suggestions and advice are exclusively concerned with providing support for effectively using Audacity software to generate waveforms.

Firstly, I assume that you are aware of the limitations of MP3 format?

MP3 encoding aims to retain “perceived sound quality” while reducing file size. During the encoding process, audio information that is considered “unimportant” to the perceived sound quality may be discarded so as to allow smaller file size. As your use case is concerned more with the physical properties of the waveforms than with perceived sound quality, MP3 may not be the best format to use. “Lossless” formats such as WAV or FLAC will retain the exact physical qualities of the waveforms that you generate, and so may be a more appropriate format to use.

As “harmonics” are an exact integer multiple of a “fundamental” frequency, for a constant frequency of arbitrary duration, it is only necessary to calculate a single cycle, which can then be repeated. This is the basis of “wavetable synthesis”. Wavetable synthesis may provide an efficient and less arduous way to generate the tones. However, I’m not sure what you mean by “step the harmonics”. Perhaps you could give an example.

How are you calculating the harmonics? Do you have a formula?
What I’m thinking is that we may be able to calculate and generate the required frequencies in Nyquist code, thus cutting out all of the manual copy and pasting of values.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your reply. It’s OK to be a skeptic, and even healthy at times, as I am a skeptic of climate change. Proponents keep saying look at the science, but haven’t shown any, and instead let politicians explain it. Now if you want me to believe anything, you should not let a politician explain it, because when I see their lips move, I know they are lying.

“It isn’t ignorance that causes so much trouble; it’s folks knowing so much that isn’t so.”

The MP3 limitations are not a problem, since I use only square waves. A square wave is the fundamental frequency with all it’s harmonics. Then I populate the harmonic spectrum, to fill the spectral band to be covered.

Excel and Libreoffice have formulas for this, to calculate odd harmonics =fundamental_frequency/exp(3) or =fundamental frequency*exp(3) depending on whether you want to go up or down in frequency.
Suppose I have an RF frequency that I wish to convert to audio range, the formula =1599800/exp(6) gives the answer 536.673112118438
The exp() function returns odd harmonics if you use exponents 3,6,9,12…etc…

In my early work as an electronics engineer, I spent 15 years, setting up and calibrating biomedical research instruments for scientists searching for cures for illnesses (big pharma companies R and D). They had an inside joke that went something like, “we don’t have a pill to cure that, you would need a Rife Machine for that.” I heard the joke repeated enough times, so that I asked, what is a Rife Machine? They gave me a short history, and said the pharmaceuticals ruined him.

Kind of like Galileo being executed for believing in the theory that the earth was a sphere and rotated on an axis around the sun. Sometimes if we don’t like the message, we kill the messenger. I’m old enough to not wish to be involved. Phil

My calculator does not agree. I get
1599800/exp(6) = 3965.50773223

Audacity’s “Tone” generator can create square waves Tone - Audacity Manual

Sorry that was only a typo, instead of typing exp(6) like I thought I did, I had typed exp(8) which is not an odd harmonic. I do use the square wave generator in tone and chirp… Phil

Hello…which generator plugin do you think is best for creating rife audio files? The default built-in tone generator or the HQ-Tone add-on?

Hi boolsifter, have you tried the Nyquist to generate these files? Are you familiar with the work of Charlene Boehm and her air to in vivo compensations?