Installing Manual 2.3.0 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
AlanMintaka
Operating System: Please select

Installing Manual 2.3.0 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by AlanMintaka » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Hello,

I have installed Audacity 2.3.0 in Ubuntu 18.04. I used the built-in installer in the "Ubuntu Software" manager. No idea where it went, the the app's icon shows up in the "installed" section of the manager. It runs OK.

I tried to install a local copy of the Manual using the Unzipping the Manual instructions from the Wiki:
"help" folder should usually go in /usr/share/audacity if Audacity was installed from a repository package, or /usr/local/share/audacity if you compiled Audacity from our source code.
Unzipping to both locations didn't get the local copy to show in the application. I did some searching around, and the only other Audacity folders I could find on the entire HDD were either empty or contained these 3 empty folders: 94, common, and current. Unzipping the manual into any of those folders or subfolders still didn't work.

Can a local copy of the manual be stored somewhere in Ubuntu 18.04 so that the app can see it?

Thanks for your time,
Alan Mintaka
"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars"
--Walt Whitman

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Installing Manual 2.3.0 in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Post by steve » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:20 pm

AlanMintaka wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 pm
I tried to install a local copy of the Manual using the Unzipping the Manual instructions from the Wiki:
It seems that the manual was zipped incorrectly.

Also, please note that the 2.3.0 release of Audacity is for Windows and Mac only. The current release of Audacity for Linux is 2.2.2.
(The 2.2.2 manual is zipped correctly).

The next release for Linux will be 2.3.1 and is scheduled for January.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)