How does a file become a Project?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
TexasJim
Operating System: Linux Mint

Re: How does a file become a Project?

Post by TexasJim » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm

steve: I've been saying from the get-go: Audacity won't let me SAVE Project. When I hit that instruction, I get the WARNING I posted way back. It says I have to use Export or something, because I have a FILE, not a PROJECT. That hasn't changed. I tried. TexasJim

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 pm

TexasJim wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm
I get the WARNING
Yes, it's a "warning", it's not an "error". It is just telling you that "Save" will create a "Project" and that if you want an "audio file" (such as a ".wav" file) you need to use "Export" rather than "Save".
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:51 am

It's the warning Audacity gives to people who think they're saving an Audacity Sound File. They're not. A Project is a collection of files and folders Audacity uses to open your saved editing environment inside Audacity.

Many applications want you to Save your work as a final product and that's the end of it. Audacity isn't like that. To get the final product in Audacity, an MP3 or a WAV sound file, you have to Export one.

Save will give you one of these.

That file and folder make a Project, MyMusic in this case. It's not going to say .proj or .prj or anything like that.

Double click the aup file and it will open the associated _data folder automatically and use the stuff it finds in there to construct your show inside Audacity. You should not be messing around inside the _data folder. One false move and you could make a normal, healthy show not open.

You would want a Project if you want to save all your sound clips, markers, different timelines, positioning information, etc, after Audacity closes. All the stuff a sound file won't do. Projects will not save UNDO, so there is that.

Koz

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Thanks, steve and Koz: I'm beginning to get the picture. So, if I Export my recordings to a Folder, and when I get all of them done, would I move them as .wav files to a burner program, such as Brasero? TexasJim

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:25 pm

If you export your recordings as WAV files, you will be able to add them to a CD compilation with Brasero.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

TexasJim

Post by TexasJim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:56 pm

O.K. steve. Thanks. I've never used Brasero, but a neighbor is a Linux Guru, so I'll pick his brain on that. Maybe I'll get my life's chronicle recorded and burned to CD's before I die. TexasJim