Audacity can't open in Endless OS

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
buga123
Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Re: Audacity can't open in Endless OS

Post by buga123 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:50 pm

bash: audacity: command not found

buga123
Operating System: GNU/Linux other

Post by buga123 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Same as the ./audacity

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:53 pm

OK, so I've installed Endless OS in a virtual machine and installed Audacity with the App Center.
When I first clicked the Launch button I got an error saying that the app was missing its runtime, and told be to click the "Update" button.
I clicked the update button, waited a few moments for it to complete, and then clicked the Launch button again. This time Audacity opened correctly.

The App Center downloads a "flatpak" package from https://flathub.org/apps/search/audacity

The version of Audacity that is installed is 2.3.0 which is NOT an approved release for Linux. 2.3.0 is for Windows and macOS only. On Linux, 2.3.0 is "experimental" and known to have problems. Nevertheless, I would still expect it to at least run.

Try uninstalling it and then reinstall it, and then try to launch it from the App Center.

If that does not work, open a terminal and enter (replacing "<user name> with your user name):

Code: Select all

flatpak run org.audacityteam.Audacity 2>&1 | tee "/sysroot/home/<user name>/Documents/audacity-log.txt"
That should create a file called "audacity-log.txt" in your Documents folder. Upload that file so that we can have a look for clues.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)