Sound coming from turntable if software playthrough is on suddenly pretty choppy rec, records fine with it turned down

Specs as required : Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (14.04.4 ubuntu equivalent, or is it .5? seems like its both
Distro’s release

It is not the records,my turntable has a small speaker system and also a really great sounding audio jack for headphones and the records there come out fine.

Never had issue recording with the software playthrough turned off, right now I just wanted to listen to an EP or 2 through my main desktop’s rather great sound system, nothing like when I had a spdif cord drilled into the basement where my even better but non-usb turntable, that I could get to play on Audacity with a phono to spdif (well there were many inputs and outputs on that 300 bucks little thing I sold) that I used to have drilled down, but I went there and the records are fine.

I just recorded new LP’s I received in them mail, with the software playthrough off, because when in Linux, using version 2.1.3, which in Mint 17.3 is the best you can have, got 2.2.2 in my Win7 partition but I hate booting back in cos then I’ll need to do updates for a few months worth and all of that and the resulting 24-96 flac files sound great.

What is causing this choppiness? First, I want to precise that normally, I did not have to select a device for playback, default worked just fine, now I have to select my sound card and the Analog exit,somehow in Windows, the turntable is recognized as a SPDIF USB device but in Linux I can’t get the spdif port to work on the sound card so I just use a regular analog green male 1/8 inch cable from my sound system to plug it in, then I get Software Playthrough but get this issue. Audacity is the only program on Linux I know of that will let me listen to my vinyl records on the computer. It’s a strange case. Maybe I can record one short sample and you guys could see what I mean. It’s hard to describe, it’s not like a record skipping or clipping very bad.I’ll attach it here, warning it’s hardcore punk music, but it’s a very short song and most of the diehard audiophiles here will spot something visually…I can see some kind of sudden blank lines which would mean the sound is choppy when played because transmission of audio ceases for a millisecond… (couldn’t get a decent size enough of what the recording sounds like, I’ll put it on one my servers for download later).
audacity-good-rip.png
audacity.png

Nevermind, I changed the usb port to one in the back where it always was, it was plugged in from the floppy bay USB 3.0 x2 and 2 2.0 port, my motherboard has 6 onboard usb 2.0 ports and 2 3.0 ones but when I had this desktop built, the idiots installed the floppy bay USB port extension but did not plug in the male molex that’s in there too, I guess to give it more power? I didn’t even know when I received the thing from China. It would be complicated to plug these directly, they work fine for most devices without that extra power, but I’ll have it plugged someday…too bad all the molex cords I have left are also male, I need some kind of hard drive power cord that splits in 2, one for SATA and one for Molex (female).

Anyways, everything’s playing just fine through the Software Playthrough, which right now is my only way to listen to my records, purely, you know what I mean, that old setup I had with the drilled to the basement phono turntable with the spdif converter, I gave it to my hopefully soon fiancee.

If it turns out I am right that now that the turntable is plugged to usb ports that receive power directly, unlike the front usb ports that only have a cable going to the bottom of the mobo where the 3 onboard USB connecting slots are. Works fine with my mic when plugged in front, recording myself on Audacity works just fine with the mic plugged in front. Why would they give that thing a Molex male power input…had it been female it would’ve been easier.

Anyways, if you guys have some comments I’ll take em, but the problem was resolved by changing USB port, and two very different kind of USB 2.0 port.