Audacity on CentOS 7.5

Hello, I’ve got Audacity 2.2.2 apparently beautifully running on CentOS 7.5.

I’m not a heavy user, but I do run a yum repository for a modern multimedia stack on CentOS 7 which includes Audacity - and Audacity was a thorn in my side because EPEL ships wxGTK3 which makes Audacity 2.1.2 difficult to use, and newer audacity needed GGC 4.9+ but CentOS has 4.8.5.

Well, spent the last week getting past that, in a way that makes it easy for users to install w/o the user needing to install software collections.

Gory details are at https://notrackers.com/2018/06/audacity-on-centos-7/

I’m actually about to redo it all - there’s a few issues mentioned there I want to resolve and also, currently it installs GGC 5.5.0 compiled Vamp Plugin SDK and Audacity into /usr prefix but I want to change that because I decided it is better not have anything with host system incompatible ABI calls in /usr and anything C++11 compiled with GCC 5.5.0 is ABI incompatible with GCC 4.8.5 (and vice versa)

So I’ll spend the next couple days sorting that out and recompiling it.

Audacity itself I might leave with /usr prefix since it isn’t a library with header files that other software could accidentally link against. But Vamp Plugin SDK definitely needs a prefix in /opt.

Anyway it is really nice to have a working Audacity again :smiley:

Very pleased to hear that you got it built successfully. We occasionally get questions about Audacity on CentOS, which we struggle with because none of the current Audacity developers or support team use CentOS.

When you’ve done that, perhaps you would consider writing a summary for this forum (or the Audacity wiki) to give practical advice for other CentOS users. I could either make a forum topic “sticky” so that it remains pinned to the top of the Linux section of this forum, or if you want to write a page for the wiki I can probably arrange for you to get editing access.