Normalizing using RMS as opposed to Peaks.

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Normalizing using RMS as opposed to Peaks.

Post by steve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:57 am

robertdaleweir wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:19 am
Because the ' ; ' is in front of this line, I assume it is a Comment and not used by the plugin. I changed it to:

;control compress-ratio "Compress ratio" real "" .77 -.5 1.25

My question is: Do I have to remove the ' ; ' at the beginning of the line to have the parameters used or just use it as it was? (with the change to .77 from .5 of course)
As Trebor wrote, you don't need to change the code.
If the code is not changed, the plug-in will remember the last settings used, and, as Trebor described, you can create user presets.

To answer your direct question...

The line:

Code: Select all

;control compress-ratio "Compress ratio" real "" .5 -.5 1.25
is seen by Nyquist as a comment, and is ignored, but Audacity sees this line as a "header command".

This header tells Audacity to create a slider widget in the plug-in GUI to accept floating point values. The value is assigned to a Nyquist variable: "compress-ratio".
The three numbers at the end represent the "factory default", minimum and maximum values. So in this case, the factory default value for "compress-ratio" is 0.5, and it can be set by the user to any value in the range 0.5 to 1.25.

The semicolon at the start is required, otherwise Nyquist will try to interpret this line and will fail (because it is not written for Nyquist and is not valid Nyquist syntax).
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

robertdaleweir
Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Post by robertdaleweir » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm

Hi Trebor
OK. I now understand. Thank you. When I go to the compressor app only Save presets, Factory Presets and About are actionable. The User Presets, Delete Presets, Import, Export and Options are grayed out. Is that a permissions problem or what?

robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:03 pm

Hi Steve
Got it:) Thanks again...
Robert

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm

robertdaleweir wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:01 pm
The User Presets, Delete Presets, Import, Export and Options are grayed out.
"Import" and "Export" presets and "Options" are not available for Nyquist effects.

"Delete" preset is not available until you have saved some user presets (the "factory default" preset cannot be deleted).
"User Presets" gives a list of the user presets, if there are any - it is greyed out if there aren't any.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi Steve
I thank you again and have a great day :)
Robert

DJDemon
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Post by DJDemon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm

robertdaleweir wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:55 am
I have many FLAC files ripped from CDs I have collected over the years. It is a diverse collection of both Rock and quieter melodies. I am using Audacity to get them to a common level without the use of ReplayGain, as the player in my vehicle, although it plays FLAC, no one is able to tell me if it can use ReplayGain adjusting, on playback, in real time.
1)
There is a Replay Gain Plugin for Audacity. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63067
The plugin will adjust the actual audio data to get the volume right, so you won't need a player which understands any Replay Gain tags.
The plugin is not perfect, yet better than anything that is based on RMS alone without taking human perception into account.
Just stay with the default volume setting (89 dB); it's unlikely that you will need additional compression to avoid clipping.

Or, alternatively…

2)
Convert the tracks to mp3 and run them them through the "mp3gain" progam. In your vehicle the superior quality of FLAC will - most likely - not be perceived, anyway. Pro: Much faster than method 1; it needs no manual interaction.

just my 2c
Walter

robertdaleweir

Post by robertdaleweir » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm

DJDemon wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:46 pm
robertdaleweir wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:55 am
I have many FLAC files ripped from CDs I have collected over the years. It is a diverse collection of both Rock and quieter melodies. I am using Audacity to get them to a common level without the use of ReplayGain, as the player in my vehicle, although it plays FLAC, no one is able to tell me if it can use ReplayGain adjusting, on playback, in real time.
1)
There is a Replay Gain Plugin for Audacity. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63067
The plugin will adjust the actual audio data to get the volume right, so you won't need a player which understands any Replay Gain tags.
The plugin is not perfect, yet better than anything that is based on RMS alone without taking human perception into account.
Just stay with the default volume setting (89 dB); it's unlikely that you will need additional compression to avoid clipping.

Or, alternatively…

2)
Convert the tracks to mp3 and run them them through the "mp3gain" progam. In your vehicle the superior quality of FLAC will - most likely - not be perceived, anyway. Pro: Much faster than method 1; it needs no manual interaction.

just my 2c
Walter
Hi Walter
Thank you for your post. I do have both FLAC and MP3 audio files and my search for a proper filter should work on both once, it is tuned up. I make MP3 playlist for friends who have American and/or Japanese car audio systems. Many of the German cars now have the ability to play FLAC and I am glad of that. I agree with you that having FLAC quality is not much good out on the road ( where my wife has a different idea of appropriate volume levels anyway). I tend to stay in the vehicle while my wife shops, so I get lots of opportunities to listen in a quiet environment ;)
Anyway, I appreciate the information and I will try to look into both of the items you set out in your post. Thanks again for your information...
Robert