Constant crashes

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Constant crashes

Post by steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:32 pm

pasuspender shouldn't be necessary. All that does is to suspend (temporarily disable) PulseAudio, but if nothing is using PulseAudio it will suspend itself anyway without pasuspender.

Note that if Pulse Audio Volume Control is open, the PulseAudio is active and will grab exclusive control of your sound card.

Another alternative to using the "hw:" device if crashing is happening on playback, is to use dmix for playback.
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

mxdxz
Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Post by mxdxz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Well, I tried rebooting the computer, and made sure no other desktop app (including pavucontrol) was running. Nothing helped except pasuspender.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:09 pm

mxdxz wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:03 pm
no other desktop app
Including your web browser? That's caught me out a couple of times when there was a page loaded but not visible that contained media, and a browser plug-in was using Pulse.

Note also that when Audacity first opens, it scans the sound system, including Pulse, so Pulse will be active for a few seconds after launching Audacity.
(Audacity 2.3.0 works around this by retrying a few times, so as to give Pulse chance to time-out and suspend itself. For earlier version, I'd suggest waiting 30 seconds after launching Audacity before attempting to record with "hw:").
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

mxdxz
Operating System: Linux Fedora/RHEL

Post by mxdxz » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Yes, including the browser. Audacity was literally the first and only app I launched after a fresh boot. I also tried restarting it.