buzzing noise

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
autodctr
Operating System: Linux *buntu

buzzing noise

Post by autodctr » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:36 pm

I had this same problem 2 years ago when I had upgraded to Xubuntu 16.04 and whatever version of Audacity was being used then. However, the problem was never resolved. So, I went back to Xubuntu 14.04 and Audacity 2.0.5. Since 18.04 is now out, I decided to try again. This is running Audacity 2.2.1. New versions of everything, but same identical problem.

About every 1 1/2 minutes, a buzzing sounds fades in, lasts for about 10-15 seconds and fades back out. The buzzing sound just about covers the intended recorded sound. This continues forever.

In 14.04, I am recording at 44,100, 32 bit float, medium on both sample rate converters. And it is fine: no problems at all. On 18.04, I lowered it to 22,050, lowest setting on sample rate conversion, tried both 32 float and 16 bit. No good.

I am recording from an Allen & Heath QU32 digital board via a USB cable. 18 channels. Does anyone have any ideas or am I stuck with 14.04 forever?

There are many old posts from almost 2 years ago if they are still available here. They had sound clips of the noise.

autodctr
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: buzzing noise

Post by autodctr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 am

bump

I am really hoping that I am not stuck with 14.04 forever since in less than a year, support will be gone.