Export tracks without losing relative time?

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on GNU/Linux.
Please state:
  • which version of Linux you are using,
  • the exact three-section version number of Audacity from Help menu > About Audacity,
  • whether you installed your distribution's release, PPA version, or compiled Audacity from source code.

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade (see https://www.audacityteam.org/download/).
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
waxcylinder
Forum Staff
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Export tracks without losing relative time?

Post by waxcylinder » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Note that embedded white space between audio clips is treated as (an made into) silence on Export - which means that if tou re-imported such an audio file you would see silences rather than white space.

And if we did treat white space before audio as silence the export, followed ny a later import would hav the leading white space changed to silence.

I assume that those behaviors are or would not be a problem :?:

Peter.
________________________________________FOR INSTANT HELP: (Click on Link below)
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Steve and I discussed this at length yesterday - an as a result of that I have logged this issue on our bugtracker: https://bugzilla.audacityteam.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1904

We probably do not have time to address this for the upcoming 2.3.0 release - but hopefully we may be able to for the subsequent releases.

Peter.
* * * * * FAQ * * * * * Tutorials * * * * * Audacity Manual * * * * * Audacity Wiki * * * * *

Iarfhlaith
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by Iarfhlaith » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm

That’s incredible, I really appreciate you putting it on the list. Any time is better than never.

waxcylinder
Forum Staff

Post by waxcylinder » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Iarfhlaith wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:09 pm
That’s incredible, I really appreciate you putting it on the list. Any time is better than never.
It's been bothering (some of) us for a long while now - it's just that no-one had gotten around to putting in the thinking time required.

Hopefully we can get it sorted now that we have articulated the problem and a probable solution.

I did, as promised, update the Manual page for 2.3.0 to document current existing behavior and Steve's simple workaround - see: https://alphamanual.audacityteam.org/ma ... nu:_Export

Peter