Clicking sound with Mac recording

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
karyn_s
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Clicking sound with Mac recording

Post by karyn_s » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 am

I'm new to audacity and have been trying to use it with an audio-technica mic and a Mac to record guided meditations that range from 15 to 45 minutes. When I playback the recordings, there are unexpected patches with clicking sounds the occur with my voice. I can't figure out how to prevent these or get rid of them after they have occurred. I saw the help topic about changing the buffering, but when I go to "preferences: recording" I don't see anything that says "buffering." Maybe it's obvious to someone with experience, but I'm a novice. Is there something I can do that will ensure no clicking sounds at the end of my recording? And, is there an easy way to eliminate the clicking once it's happened? Your feedback is welcome and much appreciated.

billw58
Forum Staff

Re: Clicking sound with Mac recording

Post by billw58 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Which version of Audacity are you using? In the latest version, the setting is called "Buffer length" and is under Devices Preferences.

Please see also this FAQ

-- Bill

karyn_s

Re: Clicking sound with Mac recording

Post by karyn_s » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks a lot, Bill. I'm using 2.2.0. I was able to find the buffer length where you suggested, and I brought it down to 0, but the clicking is still there. Do you have any other suggestions or do I need to scrap this? For my next recording, do you know what I can do to prevent the clicking? I've tried several times and each time, I've gotten this type of result (which I can't use). Thanks again for your help!