AUDACITY TURNED MY 1.62GB TRACK INTO 1.1MB CLIPS

SO YESTERDAY I RECORDED FOR ABOUT A HOUR AND A HALF. I WENT TO SAVE THE TRACK AND EVERYTHING SEEMED TO GO SMOOTH. I CLOSED OUT OF AUDACITY AND WHEN I TRIED TO REOPEN THE TRACK IT SAID SOMETHING ABOUT " DATA FOLDER FOR TRACK COULDNT BE FOUND ". THEN I SEARCHED MY CPU FOR THE TRACK BY THE NAME THAT I SAVED IT AS AND SEEN IT BROKEN DOWN INTO DIFFERENT 1.1MB FILES. WHEN I TRY TO OPEN THEM ALL AT ONCE THEY POP UP ON INDIVIDUAL AUDACITY SCREENS.

IF ANYONE KNOWS A QUICK FIX TO THIS PLEASE HELP!!

Audacity doesn’t Save sound files. It saves Projects.

Double click the AUP project manager and it will put all those snippets back into your show.

To get a stand-alone sound file you have to File > Export one.

If you moved or renamed anything, you have to put everything back the way it was. If you deleted the AUP file, you may have no show.

Koz

I believe I have the audio from the show because when I click on the folder 1.1mb saved data it plays on audacity but just in a 6 sec clip. It’s the whole show broken down into 6 sec clips for some reason

The “6 second clips” are the audio data files in the “_data” folder. The “.aup” file tells Audacity what to do with that data. As Koz wrote, you need to open the “.aup” file with Audacity, and don’t mess with the data files.

For more information about managing Audacity projects, see: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

Audacity does that so you can save all your timelines, structure and edit formats in super high quality format—minus the UNDO.

Search the computer for your AUP file. It’s supposed to be in the same place as the _DATA folder (but not inside it). See my illustration. That was an actual short show. If you moved, rearranged or renamed any of these files and folders, the show will stop working.

I know you’re going to say, “Why can’t you just put all the 6-second chunks back together?” Because they’re randomly named to avoid file structure damage during editing. The only way to put it back together without the AUP file is some very old semi-manual rescue programs that deal with file time stamps, and that all assumes you didn’t edit anything. If you changed the show in any way between the recording and the save, you’re dead.

Koz

Oh I see , no I didn’t move or rename anything. How do you combine them ? Just simply drag it over to the folder file or vice versa.

Just double-click the .aup file.

Please read the link Steve supplied.

– Bill

“You” don’t. Audacity recombines them according to the instructions in the “.aup” file.

according to the instructions in the “.aup” file.

Which is why losing the AUP file is such a big deal.

Koz

No luck I see the Aup file and the folders but when I try to open it I get a “ couldn’t find project data folder “ message. I read the Manuel but that didn’t really explain my problem

You can get that error if you changed the names of the files or folders, or have the _DATA folder in a different folder or location than the AUP file is expecting. They both need to be in the same place like my illustration.

The show name is burned into the AUP file. Open the AUP file in a text editor (don’t save anything!!) and read it.

There will be a listing called projname=". Whatever follows that is the original name of the show.

See third line down, two thirds to the right?

Koz

Ok I see that for the aup file , should the data file have the same name ?

ALL of your questions in this topic are covered in this article: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/audacity_projects.html

Direct me to the exact part because I don’t see it , I’ll tried everything. I see that there’s info in the aup file , I can hear all the audio from the show but it’s just in 6 sec bits. The aup file just can’t find the data folder

What’s the semi Manuel rescue system ?

The AUP file and the data folder:

• must have the same name
  • must be in the same folder/directory
  • must not be re-named in the Finder.

Example: if the name of the Audacity project file is MyProject.aup, the the data folder must be named MyProject_data. The two files must be in the same folder.

If the AUP file can’t find the _data folder then you either moved or renamed something.

The important parts of that manual page are 1) the first section “Structure of an Audacity project”, and 2) the green box with the “Four rules for keeping your Audacity project happy”.

– Bill

Ok I’ll try that. Just to be clear the AUP file should be Mypodcastshow_aup and the data folders with the 6 sec clips in them say Mypodcastshow_data , not d00, d01 , d02 and etc ?

From the first paragraph of the article that we have linked to several times:

The structure of a saved Audacity project is:

• An AUP project file - the name of the project followed by “.aup”, for example “my_song.aup”
  • A _data folder with the same project name and in the same folder as the .aup file, for example “my_song_data”
  • Within that data folder, > **a sub-folder structure with lots of little AU files_** > which are individual segments of the audio data.

Here’s the link one final time: Managing Audacity Projects - Audacity Manual

I am now locking this topic to avoid wasting everyone’s time further. The answers to your questions are in that article - it’s your choice if you can be bothered to read it or not.

rdavis7203 banned for being extremely abusive to one of the forum helpers.

Please be aware that Audacity, and this forum, only exists due to the countless hours that people donate to producing the software, the documentation and providing support for other users. Time wasters, trolls, spammers and downright rude behaviour will not be tolerated.