Audacity Plugin Download Issue

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
evlys
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Audacity Plugin Download Issue

Post by evlys » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:56 pm

I use a mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and Audacity 2.2.2. I am attempting to download the ACX Test plugin. Its downloading as a .txt file which is not executable. I tried pressing CNTRL and right click to save as a .NY file. There is no option to SAVE AS and select .NY, so I selected download as but there still is no option to change the file type. What can I do to download this file as a .ny filetype?

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Re: Audacity Plugin Download Issue

Post by steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:02 pm

This is due to Apple "helping" you.
Nyquist plug-ins are written as plain text, so you can download it as a .txt file, then rename it and replace the ".txt" with ".ny" (just be careful that it does not end up with ".ny.ny").
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Post by kozikowski » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:28 pm

That and it's ACX Check. (attached).

If you're planning on reading for audiobooks, you should know ACX Check will get the background noise reading wrong if it can't find about a second of background noise without performance or any other sounds. This is harder than you think. No shuffling or taking deep breaths. Freeze and hold your breath.

That background sound called "Room Tone" is also built into ACX submission standards.

This is a quick piece on creating a forum test clip. It's just a short version of how you would be reading a longer work. This isn't audiobook mastering. We have one of those, too.

http://www.kozco.com/tech/audacity/Test ... _Clip.html

Koz
Attachments
Acx-check.ny
(9.01 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

beacurry

Post by beacurry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:49 pm

I'm afraid it didn't solve the problem. It's not downloading as a .txt file. I tried your attachment and it did the same thing. Any other ideas?

B

billw58
Forum Staff

Post by billw58 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:27 pm

beacurry wrote:I'm afraid it didn't solve the problem. It's not downloading as a .txt file. I tried your attachment and it did the same thing. Any other ideas?
So it is downloading as a .ny file?
Where are you putting the file after it downloads?
-- Bill

evlys

Post by evlys » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:34 pm

No, my file downloads as a .txt file.

evlys

Post by evlys » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:25 pm

kozikowski - I'm not sure how to respond to a specific person on this thread, but the file included on the kozikowski response worked for me. Thanks. Problem I still am unable to download other plug-ins. I have the same issue whereby I am unable to download or save the .ny file. (still getting a .txt file type) Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

steve
Site Admin
Operating System: Linux *buntu

Post by steve » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:31 pm

evlys wrote:still getting a .txt file type
This is a common problem on Macs. The Mac is changing the file extension. You need to change it back from ".txt" to ".ny"
9/10 questions are answered in the FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)

evlys

Post by evlys » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:58 pm

steve wrote:
evlys wrote:still getting a .txt file type
This is a common problem on Macs. The Mac is changing the file extension. You need to change it back from ".txt" to ".ny"
I cannot save the file as anything other than as a plain text file '.txt'. The file is downloaded as .txt. I can then change the .txt to .ny but it is still a plain text file and not recognized in the plug-ins folder. All other plug-ins are 'document' file type. How do I change from plain text to document file type?

beacurry

Post by beacurry » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Yes, it is downloading as a .ny file and it's going straight to my desktop, BUT the message I sent you earlier pops up.