No playback sound

Audacity2.1.3
MacOS Sierra 10.12.6
I can get no sound on Audacity at all. Recorded a project and saved as MP3 to desktop which plays fine. I had downloaded a file which had several songs which I had placed identifying tags to separate songs, and saved a segment from this as MP3, but something has muted all sound. I still have the wave file, and when I hit play, the tool bar shows activity as though playing- just no sound. Can you help? I need to get unmuted to finish a project. Thanks

Are you on a laptop and does it make the boop-boop-boop sound when you turn the volume up and down?

Does it still?

I have an odd condition were something shuts down all sound. No idea why yet.

Do you have Skype or iChat and do you leave it running in the background?

Koz

No, I have Mac 27 in desktop. I do not have iChat or Skype. I am at a loss as to what happened

Apple (upper left) > System Preferences > Sound > Output.

Is that pointed to where your speakers or headphones are?

Have you restarted your Mac?

Koz

Sound set on headphones. Restarted the computer, still nothing. It acts as though something is muted, because when I click play, the indicator shows activity- just no sound. I have not been at this long, so I am at a stalemate as to how to proceed.

Again, in System Preferences > Sound > Output, is a) the volume turned up and b) the Mute button unchecked.
– Bill

Sound turned up to max and mute is unchecked. Could there be a correlation to the fact that I was in the process of working on a file which was saved as “save project as” when I lost sound. Would I be well advised to trash the project and start over if I can regain sound?

Go to System Preferences > Sound > Sound Effects and check “Play feedback when volume is changed” then adjust the Output Volume. Do you hear anything?

In your original post you say “something has muted all sound”. Do you mean you get no sound from the built-in speakers from any program?

– Bill

Just got back, and will try the above suggestion. As for other sound, my Finale playback works fine, and an MP3 file that originated from the now “soundless” file plays as does other previous file icons on my desktop.

Just tried the above recommended procedure to no avail. Just no sound at all in Audacity.

Please try creating a new project. Use the Generate menu to make a Chirp. Play it back. Beware: it might be loud if you have your volume at max.
– Bill