Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Help for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X.
Forum rules
ImageThis forum is for Audacity 2.x.x on Mac OS X 10.4 and later.
Please state which version of macOS you are using,
and the exact three-section version number of Audacity from "Audacity menu > About Audacity".

Audacity 1.2.x and 1.3.x are obsolete and no longer supported. If you still have those versions, please upgrade at https://www.audacityteam.org/download/.
The old forums for those versions are now closed, but you can still read the archives of the 1.2.x and 1.3.x forums.
Maia
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Post by Maia » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:52 am

I am using Audacity 2.0.6 on my Mac OS Sierra.

I recorded an interview earlier this week and left the file open without saving it. Come today, I am starting a new project and a message pings up for the old project asking if I want to save any changes. Like an absolute FOOL, I said no. Totally forgot what the file was. Is it now lost forever? Can I retrieve it?? Answers in plain English appreciated as I no longer trust my ability to comprehend or responsibly use a computer.

kozikowski
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Re: Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Post by kozikowski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:56 pm

If it's still open now, can you Edit > UNDO?

Once you close Audacity, it wipes all its background saved work. In MacOS and Linux, that's the end.

Koz

billw58
Forum Staff
Operating System: OS X 10.11 El Capitan or later (macOS)

Re: Help Needed for Stupid Mistake!!

Post by billw58 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:11 pm

The project is gone. Once you closed the project the menu bar collapsed to File, Window and Help - no Edit, no Undo. Closing a project also clears the temp directory. Opening a new project starts a new undo chain.

Please update to the latest version of Audacity, available here. It won't help you when you close a project without saving, but it has many significant improvements.

-- Bill